• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Fraud by Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kendeb

What is the name of your state? MO
My soon to be ex husband used my personal information (SS #) to obtain credit cards. I don't know if he applied on the internet or by using pre-approved offers that came to me in the mail. He applied using my name and SS# and then put himself down as as additonal user on the application. I didn't immediately find out any of this until I started receiving phone calls saying the payment was over due. I then went through his wallet, took the cards and then confronted him. He took off soon after. I notified all three credit card companies (fraud departments) and my divorce lawyer has written all three. One company has investigated and deemed it to be fraud and is not holding me responsible. One company is saying that since I am married to him, it is my responsibility and the other one sent me a letter today saying they are going to put a lien on or seize my assets. I have never signed an original application or signed anything at any store where he purchased things using the cards. What can I do? My lawyer requested the companies to send original applications showing my signature and signatures on all charge slips. The two companies that are harrasing me on a daily basis have not complied with his requests. WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP GET THIS RESOLVED - OR, AM I JUST NOW OFFICIALLY IN DEBT OVER MY HEAD WITH MY CREDIT RUINED? My divorce will be heard in December and the lawyer is making the credit card debt his responsibility in the divorce paperwork. (Does that mean anything to the credit card companies?

Debt Guy

This is identity theft. You need to file a police report and then have your lawyer send another letter to the creditors along with a copy of the police report.

The company telling you that you are responsible because you are married to this guy is full of crap. Tell them so and then just ignore it.

As to the calls, you are going to have to tough this out. Just tell them your identity was stolen and then hang up.

It is possible you could be sued. Just keep copies of all the paperwork, police report and letters to show the judge if that happens. You should be OK.

This is going to trash your credit for a while. It should all clear up eventually but it will take some time and effort on your part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">