• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Fraud??? Statue of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bookreader1981

What is the name of your state?Mississippi

I need to know if there is a statue of limitations for credit card fraud in Mississippi. I opened several accounts in my ex- mother-in-laws name back in 1999 and 2000. I was only 18 or 19 then. I did not see it as anything wrong as long as I paid it back. Well I ran up way to much debt and was never able to pay it back. She found out about it and had it all taken off her credit report and it all shows up on mine.

Can I file Bankruptcy on these debts??? And if I do, do you think they will file criminal charges, Can they???

Debt Guy

A. I need to know if there is a statue of limitations for credit card fraud in Mississippi. I opened several accounts in my ex- mother-in-laws name back in 1999 and 2000. I was only 18 or 19 then. I did not see it as anything wrong as long as I paid it back. Well I ran up way to much debt and was never able to pay it back.

Q. I'm sure there is a statute of limitations for fraud. But, that would be a criminal statute and not a civil statue. You might try a google search on MS criminal statue of limitations and then look for what fits.

A. She found out about it and had it all taken off her credit report and it all shows up on mine.

Q. It would be highly irregular for something to be taken off her credit report and then put on yours in a case like this. The only way your MIL could get it off her credit report was to file a police report for identify theft. But, I just can't see how it would have been put on your report since the system just does not work that way. I suggest that you are mistaken and suggest that you check your credit report yourself to see exactly what it says.

Q. Can I file Bankruptcy on these debts???

A. You cannot discharge a felony by filing bankruptcy. You might be able to discharge the debt if it is truly reporting in your name. But, I really don't think the debt is reporting in your name. You might be able to discharge what you owe your MIL in a bankruptcy but that would be like kicking a wasp's nest.

Q. And if I do, do you think they will file criminal charges, Can they???

A. They can. The more attention you or your MIL brings to the matter, the more likely the DA is to file criminal charges. I'm surprised that your MIL has not nailed your hide to the barn door already.

I really don't know what advice to give you except maybe move to some far away place and cut all ties with everyone you ever knew in MS. Regardless what you say, you knew what you did was wrong back when you did it. There comes a time to pay the piper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">