+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    cha242 Guest

    credit card transaction posted 4 mo. late

    YOUR STATE NAME - California
    On a trip to Reno, NV I used my credit card for a cash advance at the casino's cashier desk. Four months later I see the transaction on my statement. What is the time frame in which the casino has to file the transaction? Is there a statute of limitations for merchants to file credit card transactions? If the transaction was posted immediately, I would agree. But four months late, I don't think I should be responsible. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.
  2. #2
    totallybroke Guest
    I am not sure what the legal issue is here, you received the funds and owe the cc for the cash advance. Obviously there was some mix up or it wouldn't have taken them four months to actually post it to you account. You most likely didn't call this to their attention hoping it would never show up, but the fact still remains you owe them for the money you received.

    If your lucky they didn't go back that four months and charge you interest and you got to use their money for four months without interest, but you still have the obligation to pay it back.
  3. #3
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    38,166

    Re: credit card transaction posted 4 mo. late

    Originally posted by cha242
    YOUR STATE NAME - California
    On a trip to Reno, NV I used my credit card for a cash advance at the casino's cashier desk. Four months later I see the transaction on my statement. What is the time frame in which the casino has to file the transaction? Is there a statute of limitations for merchants to file credit card transactions? If the transaction was posted immediately, I would agree. But four months late, I don't think I should be responsible. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.
    My response:

    By signing the credit card slip in Nevada, you entered into a written contract with the casino. In Nevada, a written contract has a 6 year Statute of Limitations.

    So, your 4 months was nothing. While it may have been a "slip up" somewhere along the line, if the casino had never gotten it's money, they would have had 6 years to go after you (but, that's not counting "Luigi" coming over to your home and "kneecapping" you).

    IAAL
  4. #4
    cha242 Guest

    Re: Re: credit card transaction posted 4 mo. late

    Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE


    My response:

    By signing the credit card slip in Nevada, you entered into a written contract with the casino. In Nevada, a written contract has a 6 year Statute of Limitations.

    So, your 4 months was nothing. While it may have been a "slip up" somewhere along the line, if the casino had never gotten it's money, they would have had 6 years to go after you (but, that's not counting "Luigi" coming over to your home and "kneecapping" you).

    IAAL

    Thanks for the heads up IAAL. I had no idea the statute of limitations is that long in NV.
  5. #5
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    38,166

    Re: Re: Re: credit card transaction posted 4 mo. late

    Originally posted by cha242



    Thanks for the heads up IAAL. I had no idea the statute of limitations is that long in NV.
    My response:

    Heck, that's nothing - - if you had made a purchase in Ohio (as only one example), their SOL is 15 years! Never enter into a Ohio contract ! They'll "get you" for a good portion of your life.

    But, as a comparison, and because you're from California, the California SOL on written contracts is 4 years.

    Good luck to you.

    IAAL

Similar Threads

  1. Transaction Billed to Credit Card 3 months after.
    By RSanders in forum Online Purchases and Sales
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM
  2. Credit Card Payment Posted Incorrectly
    By ccarston in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
  3. late fee on BOA credit card and its effect on credit history
    By ralf_p in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
  5. credit card transaction dispute - California
    By upendra in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2001, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.