• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit collections against the disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tireman

What is the name of your state? Tennessee. I am fully disabled due to an on the job injury. i have social security disabilty and a structered settlement to last me through 2005, then i will only have s.s. disabilty. i have 3 large credit card debts as well as medical bills not covered by my settlement. i cannot afford what they want me to pay. the question: can creditors of any type somehow legally garnishee my money or get a judgement against me, even though i am disabled and have only this money to survive on? thanks for any good advice i can get.

bigun

SSD is exempt from creditor seizure. I'd suggest you take with your lawyer about the structured settlement.

T

tireman

structured settlement

the structured settlement i have is a worker's compensation settlement. would that make it untouchable also?

Ladynred

Workers Comp should be exempt, yes, but I'd still consult a lawyer.

If all your income is exempt, then suing you would be pointless, that's not to say they might not try it. If they can't grab at your income, they'll try for other non-exempt assets.

L

ladyc4

Ladynred said:
Workers Comp should be exempt, yes, but I'd still consult a lawyer.

If all your income is exempt, then suing you would be pointless, that's not to say they might not try it. If they can't grab at your income, they'll try for other non-exempt assets.
Been there, done that.

My guess would be if Tireman has been battling to get SSD and a Worker Comp settlement ,he's probably SITTING on the only"asset" he has left:D ;) Seriously I sure hope it's not that bad!
But I echo the statement of the previous posters to this thread,consult an attorney. Know your rights as a debtor,and don't make panicky decisions.

Obviously your creditors "can't get blood out of a rock," but you might want to look to the future and try to preserve your credit rating as much as possible. Your attorney- or a REPUTABLE credit counseling service may be able to help you. It isn't like you PLANNED to become disabled.
Hope this all works out OK for you!

T

tireman

assets

My wife and I do not own any real estate of any kind. We rent an apartment. My wife can't work because she is my primary caregiver. All we have is what is in our home and one vehicle (that is debt free). Other than that, we have no other assets, no savings accounts, 401k's, investments or anything like that. Though my sons are over 20, we still support one of them 90% of his living expenses. So what could they take?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">