• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit report error from bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ce2015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In 2013, I applied for a secure credit card through TD Bank. I wanted to have a CC available to rent a car on an upcoming vacation.

I never received the card. I never activated the card. I never received letters about the card.
Then I noticed that I had been charged $50 a month over 12 months for late fees for an annual fee on a credit card account linked to my bank account.
I called the bank and they removed the charges. They said the card had been sent to the wrong address.

2013/2014 I ran a credit report and noticed that these charges are on my credit history.
Over the last two years I have tried unsuccessfully to reach someone to correct the errors on the credit report. I spend about an hour and half on the phone with reps and never hear back from the bank or corporate office as promised.
(I have record of all of my attempts by email and telephone to speak with the bank and CC department. I always leave my phone number to be reached at).

Apparently, they have my phone number and an incorrect phone number listed on my account because today I spoke with two reps who told me there were attempts last week to reach me at a 427 number (not my number, area code, or even former area code). When I asked the rep to repeat again what the incorrect number is listed on my account, she said she could only repeat the phone number that I do recognize.
This telephone number is yet another mistake the bank has made with my account and an excuse for why they have not contacted me to correct the previous errors.
I was also told that because this is a secure CC, my account is noted that the credit report will not be reversed.

I was told again that someone will call me back from the corporate office.

This is my credit score so it is very important. If they do not correct this error, what is my next step? Do I contact consumer credit report? Hire an attorney?

adjusterjack

I called the bank and they removed the charges.

Do you have any document confirming that?

If you do, you can start by filing a dispute with each of the three credit bureaus.

See how that works out.

Ce2015

Thank you very much for your response.
A representative from TD Bank called me back today. She said they would correct the error with the 3 major Credit Report companies, but that it will take up to 45 days before it will show up as removed.
I requested that she send me the CC statements showing the charges and the zero balance from when the fees were removed. She also agreed to write a statement that the bank made these charges error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">