• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal or civil offense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justme757

What is the name of your state? SC
i went out of state to utah and ended up pawning the title to my car for around $600 but only actually got $400 or so for the title. some things happened and i ended up having to go home to sc. i also could not make the payments for the title and the car is not in good enough shape to take all the way back to utah. is this a criminal offense or a civil one?

Ladynred

What would you think is criminal ?? Not paying your debts isn't criminal, there is no debtors prison in the US. IF you were sued, it would be in Civil court, likely small claims for that amount of money.

J

justme757

again

that is what I was threatened with tho and so I was unaware of whether it was a possibility and if they indeed could get a warrant for me. B/c again that is what I was threatened with.

Ladynred

Figures.. a collection agency making illegal threats again.

From what you've said here, there's no way that you can be arrested for anything, but collection agencies like to use that to scare people into paying up. Ignore their stupid threats figure out a way to pay what you owe. However, I wouldn't pay a CA a single penny without first getting a signed agreement as to how much you are paying and that it will be paid in full.

JETX

What do you mean by 'pawning' the title???

If you gave the title to someone or company in return for a short-term loan, you may have some big problems.....
Was there a lien on the title when you 'pawned' it??
If so, how did you clear the lien for the 2nd lender??
The company that is now attempting to collect, are they the original loan ("i also could not make the payments for the title")?

Need to clear this 'ownership' issue before any correct responses can be offered.

J

justme757

stressed the hell out

The title to the car was free and clear and totally mine b4 pawning it. I told the title shop that I had just entered the state and did not have a job as of yet. my b/f was quite abusive to me after i pawned the title for $425 and i ended up having to leave the state and could not pay the title off. i have been told that means that i could go to prison from several ppl but do not know for sure. was told i could even have a warrant out for my arrest. i did not do it intentionally to get money for nothing. i am very worried about this,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">