• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debit card Fraud???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanya308

What is the name of your state? LouisianaMy husband is in the US Army. To be brief, while on deployment to Iraq, he lost his debit card in March of 2003. He told me what had happened and I reported it lost/stolen. In December of that same year, my husband went to apply for a military star card and the Army Airforce Exchange (AAFES/PX). When we checked on the status, he was not able to receive on because the store said that he already had an account in his name. They gave me a number to call and we did once we got home. The main office told us that there is an account in his name for a total of $39,000. We told the store that we never had an account with them. They said that this occurred because Iraq does not have the latest technology, everything is done by paper. Our bank kept rejecting the charges, the account was even closed, but they took it upon themselves to keep receiving purchases from this card. This store is affiliated with the military so the have our address and phone number and still no one tried to get in contact with us. An investigation was done and the local CID office said that we are not responsible for the charges, it was the stores mistake. The store said that they have enough evidence to hold him responsible. They have begun garnishing his wages since June 2006. His military lawyer said that we can hire a civilian attorney and take this matter to court, but he could not represent him because of AAFES affiliation with the military. What type of lawyer must I seek? Do my husband and I have a case that will stand in court? Please Help and fast!!!What is the name of your state?

RE: debt

Look up the FTC first and see which reporting/collecting regulations reply to you. Also, require documentation of every conversation you had with that particular place. If you know you made the call on such and such a date, call the phone company and get proof of that. Also, a debit card cannot be used without either a PIN number or signature. If your husband used a signature method, request copies of all transactions and signatures. If the signature does not match, that is identity fraud and you should not be liable.

Finally, look up a legal aid society in your area. (google "free lawyer advocate" and see what you come up with) If you make less that 40 a year, you will likely qualify for free services. (depending on your state) Definitely fight this-you can spend 2,000 now to prevent yourself from paying 39,000 later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">