• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debit Card Fraud!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Excuse the long winded story. :D

Chase debit card that I use almost exclusively for daily purchases. I know the pitfalls of using them for online purchases and protection, etc.

Well I was at a bar on Friday night and my bill came to $28.00. I left a $6 tip which my bill should have been for a total of $34.00

On Monday morning the $28 charge showed pending but an additional charge was on my card from the same date and merchant "bar" for $82.11 (pending charge). Which obviously impacts my available funds.

I thought oh the bartender just messed up and it won't actually POST to my account. Well yesterday morning it did post and it was for $28 and $92.11 (yes some cheap ******* left a $10 tip on a $80 tab).

So I call my bank yesterday and they have filed a claim and credited my account the money in the interim of their investigation. I called the merchant last night and the manager told me I had to bring my card in so she could run the number.

I did and then she proceeded to tell me I need to bring in a hard copy of my bank statement showing that it posted to my account. I asked why she didn't tell me this on the phone.

Anyway, she stated she would give me cash for the mistake. My question is do I let Chase run their investigation or just take the cash and tell chase the Merchant credited me?

I want the person to pay for their bill and I don't know if the investigation will find that out. Doubt it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Excuse the long winded story. :D

Chase debit card that I use almost exclusively for daily purchases. I know the pitfalls of using them for online purchases and protection, etc.

Well I was at a bar on Friday night and my bill came to $28.00. I left a $6 tip which my bill should have been for a total of $34.00

On Monday morning the $28 charge showed pending but an additional charge was on my card from the same date and merchant "bar" for $82.11 (pending charge). Which obviously impacts my available funds.

I thought oh the bartender just messed up and it won't actually POST to my account. Well yesterday morning it did post and it was for $28 and $92.11 (yes some cheap ******* left a $10 tip on a $80 tab).

So I call my bank yesterday and they have filed a claim and credited my account the money in the interim of their investigation. I called the merchant last night and the manager told me I had to bring my card in so she could run the number.

I did and then she proceeded to tell me I need to bring in a hard copy of my bank statement showing that it posted to my account. I asked why she didn't tell me this on the phone.

Anyway, she stated she would give me cash for the mistake. My question is do I let Chase run their investigation or just take the cash and tell chase the Merchant credited me?

I want the person to pay for their bill and I don't know if the investigation will find that out. Doubt it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Be patient Blue, Chase will make you whole. It will probably take a day or two.

Well the bar gave me cash last night and I called Chase to say the claim has been resolved.

Anyway, I asked how something like this could happen and the manager said "I have no clue".

To all, keep an eye on your balances.

Antigone*

Well the bar gave me cash last night and I called Chase to say the claim has been resolved.

Anyway, I asked how something like this could happen and the manager said "I have no clue".

To all, keep an eye on your balances.
I'm glad your issue got resolved.

As a banker I always advocate two things (and I practice what I preach) 1 ~ Always use a check register, this way you don't ever have to pay a nasty NSF fee unless you do it on purpose. 2 ~ Use online banking often (I use it daily) to reconcile your check register to to your actual activity.

take care

I'm glad your issue got resolved.

As a banker I always advocate two things (and I practice what I preach) 1 ~ Always use a check register, this way you don't ever have to pay a nasty NSF fee unless you do it on purpose. 2 ~ Use online banking often (I use it daily) to reconcile your check register to to your actual activity.

take care
I am very diligent when it comes to checking my balances. I as you do, check my account everyday and I use Quicken to keep track of everything. Very sound advice and everyone should make it a point to monitor them.

Thanks again for listening Greece!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">