• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debit card fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

45Frank

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
While doing my bills this month online I noticed about a thousand dollars of unauthorized debits, mostly cash. My little hometown bank is honoring with no problem, they are great and I have never had a problem.
I am not the brightest bulb on the chandelier when it comes to debits and electronics and such. All of the chargers were from 1am till 5am at a local ATM I used to use regularly. the others at local gas stations. Two questions for the brighter than me.
Even if my card was copied some how how can someone get money out of an ATM without my PIN? Or how would they get my PIN and card together? I do change my PIN regularly and rarely use my card to get money.
Second the bank gave me all the times of the charges PST, I went today to the general store where the ATM is located and we looked thru the security cameras and at the times the bank says these charges took place there is no activity at either the pumps of the ATM machine. Can the times also be manipulated by an experienced thief?

Chyvan

Even if my card was copied some how how can someone get money out of an ATM without my PIN? Or how would they get my PIN and card together?
They use a skimmer on the ATM machine to capture the data on the magnetic strip, and a camera mounted filming you inputting your PIN.

signalhill

Second the bank gave me all the times of the charges PST, I went today to the general store where the ATM is located and we looked thru the security cameras and at the times the bank says these charges took place there is no activity at either the pumps of the ATM machine. Can the times also be manipulated by an experienced thief?
The more that has been manipulated, the more inside of a job I would suspect, right down to the servicer of the machine.

With 'everything' digital and electronic, would not put it past them in this day to even be able to overlay footage of the thief withdrawing the money with a duplicated image/footage from one of the many times you withdrew who knows how long ago.

Will be interesting what the investigation finds!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">