• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debit card stolen, pin# used at atm to deposit fraud check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Godsballer

My wallet was stolen and the thief used my debit card to deposit a fraudulent payroll check. Then went to stores and got money orders for the cash. Some how they where able to obtain my pin number to do so. My bank has not been of any assistance and is holding my liable for the loss. I really feel like they are making me or to be the thief with no type of real investigation. I have as picture of the thief depositing the check and have filed a report with the police. The police department has also been no help, continually calling the case detective and no response. This is a tremendous struggle for me financially, went an entire month without receiving a paycheck due to automatic deposit. Is there anything that I can do? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

CSO286

My wallet was stolen and the thief used my debit card to deposit a fraudulent payroll check. Then went to stores and got money orders for the cash. Some how they where able to obtain my pin number to do so. My bank has not been of any assistance and is holding my liable for the loss. I really feel like they are making me or to be the thief with no type of real investigation. I have as picture of the thief depositing the check and have filed a report with the police. The police department has also been no help, continually calling the case detective and no response. This is a tremendous struggle for me financially, went an entire month without receiving a paycheck due to automatic deposit. Is there anything that I can do? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah, not buying this. The only way to get the PIN is you providing it, or the thief knowing enough personal info about you--name, DOB, acct #, mother's maiden name, your security questions--to be able to reset.

No vendor/retailer has access to that info.

Antigone*

Yeah, not buying this. The only way to get the PIN is you providing it, or the thief knowing enough personal info about you--name, DOB, acct #, mother's maiden name, your security questions--to be able to reset.

You and I are in complete agreement here. This story smells very fishy.

cosine

There are other ways, too. But the one about the thief knowing personal info is the most believable. The wallet probably had a lot of that in it.

Unless that info was used at that vendor/retailer for legitimate transactions previously. The OP should know if that was the case.

FYI, yes, I do get a hint of the scent of seafood. But this is not the "isthisfishy dot com" forum. This is the "freeadvice dot com" forum. Let's stick with original post as valid on their face and stop making assumptions about a back story. If you need more info, ask for it. If you can't give advice based on what is said, then don't give any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">