• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Validation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwmckims

What is the name of your state? CA

I sent the CA a letter to Validate a debt supposedly owed. This was back in April 2003. How long do they have to respond to you?

Another question is another CA is constently calling and leaving messages after I sent him a Cease and Desist letter telling me he has the information I requested on the validation of this debt. He wants a fax number so he can fax it to me. Can he call me? I thought he had to mail all correspondence.

What is the SOL in California on CC debts?

bigun

A collection agency never has to validate. They just must cease collection activity until they do validate. Do they have the trade line on your credit report marked as in dispute? THe SOL in Ca. is 4 years. A cc is an open account.

STATE: CALIFORNIA †
INTEREST RATE

Legal: 10%
Judgment: 10% (Unless otherwise contracted)
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (IN YEARS)

Open Acct.: Reduced to writing-4
Open Acct.: No writing-2
Written Contract: 4
Domestic Judgment: 10 (renewable at 10)
Foreign Judgment: 10 (commencing with judgment debtor's commencement of CA. residence.)

JETX

In addition to 'Biguns' accurate answers....

"Another question is another CA is constently calling and leaving messages after I sent him a Cease and Desist letter telling me he has the information I requested on the validation of this debt. He wants a fax number so he can fax it to me. Can he call me?"
*** Of course he can ask to FAX it to you. All you have to do is decline and ask that he mail it to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">