• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debts incurred by husband, now deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cinhal

Am I liable for debts incurred by my husband before he died? My name is not included on any of these credit cards, and credit life is not paying because he took his own life within a year of incurring these debts. The payments are killing me financially. I live in Colorado. Any answer would be so appreciated. Thankyou.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cinhal said:
Am I liable for debts incurred by my husband before he died? My name is not included on any of these credit cards, and credit life is not paying because he took his own life within a year of incurring these debts. The payments are killing me financially. I live in Colorado. Any answer would be so appreciated. Thankyou.

My response:

Since Colorado is a Community Property State, his debts are your debts.

If you're "under the gun" financially because of his death, you may wish to consider Bankruptcy to extinguish those, and all other debts you have (which can be discharged, of course).

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">