• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabzalot

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
My deceased husband had large credit card debt in his name only. Am I responsible to pay these cards off? :confused:

Debt Guy

I am sorry for your loss.

No, you are not obligated to pay credit card debts that were in his name only.

However, his estate is responsible for the payment of those debts. You did not indicate if he left an estate or if the estate is being probated.

If the estate is being probated, the creditors will submit their claims to the court.

If he left no estate, simply write a letter to the creditor, attach a copy of the death certificate and tell them there is no estate.

gabzalot

Deceased's estate- NC

My deceased husband and I own a home that I have to sell right away. That's the extend of his estate, we had a living trustl and what little there is was left to me. Should I wait to contact the credit card companies after I sell the house with the death certificate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">