• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased husbands debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BBL

What is the name of your state? CA
My husband passed away suddenly, there was no life insurance, no property, except a 1990 car. I was married to him less than a year. He left behind 50.00$ in his checking, he qualified for Medi Cal. He left behind four credit cards two were closed several years before I meet him, he was making payments. I am not an authorized user on any of these accounts, nor was I a joint applicant. They won't even give me information on these accounts. Am I responsible for these accounts? And is a Death certificate sufficent enough to satisfy these creditors? They keep asking me who the executor of the estate is. There wasn't a will because there was nothing to will.

Ladynred

If these debts were his BEFORE you were married, then they are considered 'separate' and NOT part of community property - therefore you have NO liability for those debts. If he died w/o an estate of any kind, or it was insolvent, then you send the creditors a letter stating that he is deceased, he was insolvent and there was no estate and therefore no probate. Include a copy of the death certificate. Mail the letter(s) certified, RRR, and keep copies of them in a safe place for a long time. Be prepared for any of them to claim that you owe just because you were married in a CP state - it will be a lie, don't listen to them.

The only ones you *could* be held liable for is any debt incurred during your marriage, and even then YOU would have had to derive a benefit from whatever was purchased for it to be lumped into community property.

My condolences for your loss. Less than a year is tragic :(

Ladynred

I know.. just don't let them bully you, stand your ground, you're not liable, whatever lies they may tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">