• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased spouse CC debt - Assume Debt or Pass to Collection Agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frugal123

What is the name of your state? CA
My husband recently passed away and left me with significant credit card debt that I did not know about. Most of the credit card companies are offering me 2 options for resolving his unpaid balances. I can assume his credit card debt (he took out many cards in his name only) and they will give me 0% interest rate until the balance is paid off; or, they will send the unpaid balance to a collection agency upon receipt of his death certificate. Question: should I have the balances go to collection agencies and then try to negotiate with them a settlement (and does this then go on my credit rating??), or should I assume the debt at 0% interest rate? I will have his pension and social security as income and will also receive a life insurance pay off.What is the name of your state?

Some Random Guy

The collection agencies will not be able to put this on your credit since the debt was in his name only. But if you agree to pay the debt then you may find it on your credit report.

If you do not agree to pay the debt yourself, then they should be paid from the estate of your husband before any money is distributed to you or other heirs.

I will have his pension and social security as income and will also receive a life insurance pay off
Surviving spouse benefits for the pension and Soc sec. are paid to you and are not part of the estate. Life insurance also is paid directly to you and is not part of the estate.

TigerD

I disagree with Some Random Guy. California is a community property state and you may be responsible. You might want to discuss it with your attorney.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">