• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defaulting on a loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mdeadmon

What is the name of your state? NC

Tried this question in another forum but no luck maybe I put it in the wrong one. about 3 years ago I bought a business and financed it thru my bank. It was a secured loan. I later sold the business for a big loss, and went to the bank and told them why I sold the business, (long story). Anyway, the loan is now unsecured (bank did this because I sold everything in the business which was collateral, which incidently would not have covered the loan by a long shot and they knew it.) My question is this: I am wondering what would happen if I quit paying on this loan. I have paid back about 2/3 of the loan if you count the interest, about 1/2 if you don;t. Any advice would be appreciated, since I am now paying on a loan for something I no longer have...

thanks
md

Ladynred

If the loan is now classified as unsecured, then what can happen is the same as if you defaulted on a credit card. The bank can sue you, get a judgment, garnish wages and sieze assets and place liens on property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">