• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denied access to my personal bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pettyphy@yahoo.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

I have been denied access to my personal bank account,checking,savings,auto loan and visa because I am behind on payment. This cannot be legal can it?

StephenH

If this was the same bank, they can do that. If not, there must be a judgment somewhere. Contact the court in your area to see if there was a judgment filed.

efflandt

The short answer is, don't keep cash at a bank where you have a delinquent debt.

You may need to search for more details, but technically I do not believe they are not supposed to offset "credit card" debt with cash bank accounts unless they get a judgment. But they do have a right to offset other consumer loans (you mentioned an auto loan) with other cash you have at the same bank. And they may still be able to freeze an account for credit card debt even if they are not in a position to take money from it yet. So they do have you over a barrel.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

I have been denied access to my personal bank account,checking,savings,auto loan and visa because I am behind on payment. This cannot be legal can it?
Google this term: Right of Setoff. It is perfectly legal and you agreed to it when you opened your account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">