• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Depositing a post-dated check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecr319

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My husband received a post-dated payroll check because the financial secretary at his place of employment is out of town this week. There's no concern that the money will not be present in the account--their standard practice is to keep 20k in the account at all times. We have deposited checks for the same amount since we opened our bank account in September of last year and never had an issue (besides the bank wanting to put holds occasionally on checks because of the amount). We are both going out of town today, so I went to deposit the check this morning. At first, the teller tried to put a hold on it (separate note, but this seems to be entirely up to the discretion of the teller at the window--sometimes they try to hold it, sometimes they don't) and I informed him it was a payroll check, to which he replied he'd "see what [he] can do." He then came back and said that since it was post-dated he couldn't even accept it. I'd done my research before trying to deposit it, so I knew the OCC allows for a check to be deposited even if it is post-dated, but it appears this is solely up to the bank/teller's discretion.

My concern is that, as I said, we're both going out of town, and if I try to deposit it in another city, there will almost certainly be a hold put on it that will extend into July when our mortgage and other bills are due.

Am I correct in assessing that whether to accept a post-dated check is up to the discretion of the teller receiving it? I am eight months pregnant; is it worth going down and trying to elicit some sympathy from the manager to go ahead and accept it, or am I SOL until its date (the 25th)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My husband received a post-dated payroll check because the financial secretary at his place of employment is out of town this week. There's no concern that the money will not be present in the account--their standard practice is to keep 20k in the account at all times. We have deposited checks for the same amount since we opened our bank account in September of last year and never had an issue (besides the bank wanting to put holds occasionally on checks because of the amount). We are both going out of town today, so I went to deposit the check this morning. At first, the teller tried to put a hold on it (separate note, but this seems to be entirely up to the discretion of the teller at the window--sometimes they try to hold it, sometimes they don't) and I informed him it was a payroll check, to which he replied he'd "see what [he] can do." He then came back and said that since it was post-dated he couldn't even accept it. I'd done my research before trying to deposit it, so I knew the OCC allows for a check to be deposited even if it is post-dated, but it appears this is solely up to the bank/teller's discretion.

My concern is that, as I said, we're both going out of town, and if I try to deposit it in another city, there will almost certainly be a hold put on it that will extend into July when our mortgage and other bills are due.

Am I correct in assessing that whether to accept a post-dated check is up to the discretion of the teller receiving it? I am eight months pregnant; is it worth going down and trying to elicit some sympathy from the manager to go ahead and accept it, or am I SOL until its date (the 25th)?
You can certainly try to deposit the item again, however you may have some problems if the check does not clear. If the check does not clear, are you going to use your pregnancy to elicit some sympathy for the reversal of your NSF fees???

ecr319

You can certainly try to deposit the item again, however you may have some problems if the check does not clear. If the check does not clear, are you going to use your pregnancy to elicit some sympathy for the reversal of your NSF fees???
So I'm getting that the gist of your answer is that accepting a post-dated check is up to the discretion of the bank/teller? I appreciate the concern over whether it will clear, but it's really not an issue in this case.

latigo

Why all of the fuss?

Deliver the check to your bank and place it there for collection. Or direct that it be processed on the date made payable. Geez!

ecr319

I suppose it's my fault for not spelling this out explicitly: they wouldn't take it for deposit today at all because of the date written on it. I was told to bring it back on the day it was marked.

Antigone*

I suppose it's my fault for not spelling this out explicitly: they wouldn't take it for deposit today at all because of the date written on it. I was told to bring it back on the day it was marked.
They are well within their rights to do that. They are also well within their rights to place a hold - payroll check or not.

cosine

Ask for the head teller or a bank officer. Show them the check, explain its date, explain that you are leaving town, and would like to have the check held and processed on that date. Many banks will do this for their customers. A reasonable bank will do this for you. Just don't ask for cash back from the check; make sure it is a straight deposit. If they can't do this in person, ask how to have the check mailed in for deposit processing (I've done several bank transactions by mail, and the banks have never had any problem with it, though I do worry postal mail can get lost).

I had something like this happen to me several years ago. The teller simply asked me if I would like to have the check processed on the next day since it was one day early. The bank took care of it all (it was one of those local banks that lives or dies by the quality of their service, rather than a nationwide bank that sees their account holders as sheep).

LSCAP

I'd recommend talking to the Manager. Sometimes, tellers and sometimes head tellers are reluctant to do something that they aren't sure of.

AND sometimes it's the bank manager's policy.

efflandt

Do you have an account at a national bank with branches where you will be traveling? Otherwise you could mail it so it arrives at the bank at the appropriate time.

In the future you might consider direct deposit if his employer offers that. The first time I realized the value of direct deposit and ATM's was when I ended up out of state longer than expected on business (2 weeks) and there was no way I could have received, endorsed, and deposited my check back at home.

justalayman

the bank does not have to accept a post dated check although they can and they can even cash it, as long as the person who wrote the check has not notified their bank of the post dated checks. In that case, a bank is required to return the check, unpaid, to the depositor.

So, go to the bank the check is drawn on and ask them if they will cash it or if there has been notification of the post dating. If they will cash it, do so and deposit it into your account. If they will not cash it, it would do no good to deposit it at your bank since it will get bounced back to yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">