• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Member stole and used ATM card, what will happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minasmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My drug addicted daughter (22 yo) recently moved back in with us. I thought that she was on the road to recovery, but I an 99.9% sure she stole my husbands debit card and used it to withdraw $1000.

On Friday we were on the way to a party, stopped at a store and he noticed his debit card was missing from his wallet. He is very anal retentive about putting it back, but had used it the night before at a grocery store, so thought he might have dropped it. I checked our account and lo and behold $1,000 was withdrawn that morning. We immediately went home, kicked my daughter out, called the police and reported the theft and called the bank to cancel the card. Today I filed a form with the bank for unauthorized use of the card.

From what I have been reading, I think we will get our money back, sans $50, is this correct? He never told my daughter his pin, but she grew up in our house so it is possible she overheard him tell it to me at some point, or even was able to make an educated guess (it is the numbers of his two favorite football players). She of course denies she had anything to do with it. I don't think someone who found the card could in some way get his pin? Anyway, any information you could provide about what is and isn't possible and what may happen with the reimbursement would be appreciated. I am just sad and sickened over this whole thing :(

commentator

Most banks and ATM locations have cameras which will be able to produce a picture of the person who got out the money.

As I was told in a similar situation, "Ninety nine times out of a hundred, this is a family member." And the bank can provide video evidence of who it was. I am sorry for your situation, I know it is very painful. People who are drug addicted do not usually get on "the road to recovery" without hitting some sort of really big life changing roadblock on the road they are on.

Last edited:

bdancer

Since this card was used at an ATM to withdraw funds and the person had the PIN, you may run into problems with the bank. Often banks consider it an authorized transaction because you gave the person the PIN. You may have to jump thru some hoops to prove you did not give the PIN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">