• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forest thru the trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

landofthefree

What is the name of your state? RI
I had a verbal contract with a tree cutting svc for $1500 to remove trees in my yard. The co. did 2 days of work then never showed up again. 5 days later another co. did the job for $1989. The 1st co demanded $1500, but I refused to pay. I received a bill from the 1st co. for $1100. I now received a letter from a CA for $2500! I want them to justify the figure and validate the claim v. me. How? Can I counter file a letter for the $1989 it cost me to complete the Job w/o hiring an attorney?

L

ladyc4

Sue them in Small claims for the $1989 it cost you to hire another co to finish job they started-particularly if they left a big fat mess.
Send validation letter to CA-if this was verbal contract you probably both are in a leaky canoe without a paddle...

L

landofthefree

The verbal contract is leaky. I do have other written contracts that were slightly higher but not by much. I'm should get a written stmt from the the second vendor explaining what he described to me as a defect in the first vendors job. The 2nd vendor has been in business longer. I have pictures and videos too.

I also filed a claim w/my ins co v. the first vendor for the damage to my lawn, underground sprinkler and landscape. That's in collection now. He never responded to my ins. co. He refused to give me his ins. co #!!

I wondering if I should go to the mat w/this one? IRS he is a small business I'm sure he's hiding cash, workers comp ins. it's required for ea. worker in RI, BBB, the States Aborist Lic. Board.

Is it legal to ask the CA that the guy supply me with copies of signed time cards for each employee that was on my site for those days, a copy his workers comp policy for those said employees, a copy of his liability ins. policy, and a copy of his federal tax id?

L

ladyc4

I'm not sure of YOUR legal right to see his business records-unless you have filed suit against him,and then I'm not sure just what records you can see-it's called "discovery".

If you have evidence or can substantiate your concerns about the workers comp, or cooking the books to hide cash, your state Attorney General's office, your state labor board,and yes, any licensing board that oversees that type of business would love to hear from you I'm sure. From all I've heard the BBB isn't the big weapon it's cracked up to be...
As for the insurance issue for the damage to your landscape,etc-let your insurance co go after the guy- and trust me they probably will if there's much money involved-just furnish them with whatever contact info you have. (If you had to pay a deductible, add that to your Small Claims filing.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">