• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged documents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevinss

Remember the now-bankrupt NextBank?
I had an account with them back in 2001. It was still with them when they went bankrupt (not charged off.)
I just today received a "statement" from NextBank. NextBank, NextCard, etc written ALL over it. The old NextCard statements used to be in blue and yellow ink with pretty lines. This one lacks the pretty lines and colors, but has a slightly-modified black-and-white reproduction of their logo.
No FDCPA-required "This is an attempt to collect a debt" so I'm assuming it's not a collection account. The question is then, who is it (rhetorical)? I'm not willing to call their 800 number from my phone because we all know what that does ;) So far, no calls.
I believe this is fraudulent conveyance on their part (whoever they are.) Thoughts?
And don't say "pay the bill" cuz it ain't gonna happen.

**EDIT**

I just called the number from a secured line. Guess who it is? NCO. Now, what next?

Last edited:

Ladynred

Its a 3rd party debt collector, FDCPA applies. All the NexCard accounts were sold off to various other banks and collection agencies. Sounds to me like this first contact of theirs, made to look like a legit NextCard bill was a deliberate deception.

Unless someone else knows something about this tactic that I'm not aware of.

K

kevinss

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the debt is actually with Bank of Omaha, and NCO is the collection agency of choice. They have a bunch of NextCard debts, so Bank of Omaha sends out this nice little credit card statement thing with a past-due amount and a due date, etc... the address to send inquiries to is NCO. The phone numbers to call are NCO. The address to SEND PAYMENT TO is Bank of Omaha.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

If this is the American Dream, somebody pinch me!

That's my new signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">