• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found large sum of money, want to put in bank.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathristal

money in luggage

is it all real! check to make sure it is real! if caught trying to pass fake money!! you could get into real trouble!

do unto others......

good luck, i am confident you will make the right decision, b/c you are already wondering what the right thing to do is!

Remember the right thing to do is always the hardest thing to do!

justalayman

good luck, i am confident you will make the right decision, b/c you are already wondering what the right thing to do is!
!
No, he wasn't wondering what the right thing to do it, he wanted to know how to keep the money.

. To be honest, i havent told anyone for several reasons, mainly cuz i dont wanna have to give it up under some stupid law.

sandyclaus

If Op wants, he can give that money to me for me to put through my bank account. That way he doesn't have to worry about taxes, or police or anything.... ;)

Kiawah

Better go fishing for that 2nd and 3rd suitcase.

Or maybe not, or the guy that lost it will have you sleepin with the fish.

TigerD

I will hold on to it for the OP. I will invest it a potentially high yield investment -- a weekend in Vegas.
DC

BOR

I was in ohio.
I live in Ohio also. OH recognizes 4 types of property.

1. Lost.

2. Mislaid.

3. Abandoned.

4. Treasure Trove.

The money you found was definitely classified as LOST.

With few exceptions in Ohio, the finder of lost property has claim to it against anyone in the world but the rightful owner, Ohio Jurisprudence 3rd, Property, I believe is the Volume heading.

IF the true owner can not be "readily identified", I believe Ohio law does not require due diligence to find them.

One case I remember for certain, as I have looked up this heading before, is Ray v. Flower Hospital. A Court had to determine if a glasses case filled with Jewels left on a counter in a Hospital by a nurse, was lost or Mislaid. The Court declared it was Mislaid, in which the Hospital retained Bailment/ownership until an owner appeared, etc.

If you have legal doubts you need to visit a law library and research the law as I pointed out.

You can always file an action for a Declaratory Judgment with a Common Pleas Court to determine your rights and duties. Yes, you can even take some of the money for a filing fee and a small attorney fee.

IF the true owner expects such a large sum to be returned, you are entitled to your out of pocket expenses in locating him.

Such a large sum of money was possibly stolen, sure. Even only a grand could have been stolen.

You have options, attempt to locate the rightful owner, but the law does not require you go to great lengths, or keep it.

I am not lawyer, so you need to consult counsel or make it a do it yourself project to determine if the money is yours.

Morally for a sum that large, turn it in to the police, get a receipt, OR attempt by diligence to locate the owner. If it was stolen, who knows who the owner is though??

Last edited:

cosine

Did any of the other contents, or the containers, have anything that would allow the rightful owner to prove they are the rightful owner? For example, suppose you were to publish a general description of everything, and someone comes forth claiming it is theirs. Is there something in there that would make it possible for a claimant to prove it is theirs?

justalayman

Did any of the other contents, or the containers, have anything that would allow the rightful owner to prove they are the rightful owner? For example, suppose you were to publish a general description of everything, and someone comes forth claiming it is theirs. Is there something in there that would make it possible for a claimant to prove it is theirs?
well, I wouldn't normally think a safe would be one of those "anybody can guess that" items.

BOR, you have left out what is the most likely situation: stolen property.

justalayman

I left it out because it wasn't asked about. But if the OP needs legal advice on how to let him keep stolen property, maybe he should ask us that.
that's all well and good but I was addressing the statement to BOR. That is why I started started my statement with "BOR, you have left out...";)
but anyway, the reason it is important is because stolen property generally does not fall under the laws he was presenting. Given the dressing of the stash of cash, I suspect it is stolen property. As such, some different laws are invoked and it isn't as simple as finders keepers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">