• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found visa gift card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oceanair

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?North Carolina

Almost three months ago I found a Walmart visa gift card. I found it at my local walmart. I let the store manager and customer service know I had found the card, as well as the balance that was on it. I held on to the card. But I gave them my name and number just in case someone has claimed it. Nobody has come forward to claim it
and the balance still says $50.23. What would happen if I now used the card and it was flagged as stolen.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?North Carolina

Almost three months ago I found a Walmart visa gift card. I found it at my local walmart. I let the store manager and customer service know I had found the card, as well as the balance that was on it. I held on to the card. But I gave them my name and number just in case someone has claimed it. Nobody has come forward to claim it
and the balance still says $50.23. What would happen if I now used the card and it was flagged as stolen.
If it were lost why would it be "flalgged as stolen"? Call Visa and ask them if anyone has reported it lost or stolen.

Last edited:

oceanair

lost visa

If it were lost why would it be "falgged as stolen"? Call Visa and ask them if anyone has reported it lost or stolen.
I did call, they said the card wasn't registered, so the didn't know who it could belong to, and that whoever lost it could still report it lost or stolen. I went through all the proper channels I could. I want to spend it, but if later the owner does decide to track down the card, can I get into trouble for using it, even though I did try to find the person who lost it.

Just Blue

I did call, they said the card wasn't registered, so the didn't know who it could belong to, and that whoever lost it could still report it lost or stolen. I went through all the proper channels I could. I want to spend it, but if later the owner does decide to track down the card, can I get into trouble for using it, even though I did try to find the person who lost it.
So spend it. If, at some later point of time, the owner "reports" this card...Explain the situation and reimburse the amount. ;)

I am basing this on what you have posted here. :)

single317dad

https://forum.freeadvice.com/banking-credit-cards-18/found-gift-card-507448.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost,_mislaid,_and_abandoned_property

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/10/law_talk_is_there_such_a_thing.html

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Finders-keepers-The-murky-ethics-of-found-money-2791545.php

City of Raleigh Police Department, Evidence & Found Property: (919) 996-3395

OHRoadwarrior

There is a legal process for turning in lost/found property. It usually involves giving it to the police department for a hold period then being given it after it remains unclaimed for a period of time. I am not sure of NC policy.

justalayman

boy am I glad I read the forums tonight. I have been so upset ever since I lost my Walmart gift card with $50.23 on it. That was the money for my Christmas turkey so we had to have a giant round of bologna for Christmas dinner. Just wasn't the same even though I stuffed an old wishbone into the chunk o' meat and pretended it was a real turkey. Not a lot of difference between the white meat and the dark meat on a chunk of bologna.

I'll be down to pick up my gift card as soon as you give me your address.

btw: just so you know it's mine I can identify it. It has a Walmart logo on it and a VISA logo on it.

LdiJ

boy am I glad I read the forums tonight. I have been so upset ever since I lost my Walmart gift card with $50.23 on it. That was the money for my Christmas turkey so we had to have a giant round of bologna for Christmas dinner. Just wasn't the same even though I stuffed an old wishbone into the chunk o' meat and pretended it was a real turkey. Not a lot of difference between the white meat and the dark meat on a chunk of bologna.

btw: just so you know it's mine I can identify it. It has a Walmart logo on it and a VISA logo on it.
Chuckle...

OHRoadwarrior

Smacks head in disbelief. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">