• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jm4466

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I have two credit cards from B of A that were sent to me pre approved eight years ago. After 7 years of timely payments I had financial problems last year
and stopped paying them. Yesterday my father receives a call threatening him to pay because the card was issued under his birth date but sent to me in
another state. (We have the exact same name) He tells them he has no knowledge about these accounts and they threaten him (and me) that this is fraud
and I could be prosecuted.

I cannot afford to pay them off and see bankruptcy as my only option. I don't feel I did anything wrong by accepting their pre approved offer.

Please advise

Thank You

jm4466

Is This Fraud

Really.

The pre approval they sent me was tied to his SSN. On many ocassions our credit files have been combined.

Dave1952

It sounds as if you were aware that this "pre-approved" mail was for your father and you fraudulently assumed his identity. What am I missing?

jm4466

I received a pre approval with my name at my address in a different state from my father.
I was never aware until a couple of days ago that it was my father's account. I'm pretty
sure they don't advertise a person's SSN on the offer.

Dave1952

Ok, I'm inclined to believe your story. You are aware that you and your father have the same name (not Jr., not II) and that your credit files do get mixed up but you were sloppy. Without knowing your financial situation it's hard to advise you about bankruptcy or payment plans. I'm uncomfortable that you stopped making payments rather than trying to work something out with BOA.
If they do press charges of fraud get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">