• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent deposits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jabahut227

Fraudulent deposits
I noticed my card was missing but knowing me I misplaced it so I didn't think of it a big deal. I checked my account Thursday and about a total of $3k in checks were trying to go through in my account. I'm currently in highschool so I can't get to matters at once. Saturday I call the bank to report my card. The bank representative told me someone already called my card to deactivate it which I was grateful of. He then told me someone tried depositing counterfeit checks into my account and it wasn't my signature, just my name printed. So he told me I had to talk to loss prevention but their office was closed at the time. What does this mean?

quincy

Fraudulent deposits
I noticed my card was missing but knowing me I misplaced it so I didn't think of it a big deal. I checked my account Thursday and about a total of $3k in checks were trying to go through in my account. I'm currently in highschool so I can't get to matters at once. Saturday I call the bank to report my card. The bank representative told me someone already called my card to deactivate it which I was grateful of. He then told me someone tried depositing counterfeit checks into my account and it wasn't my signature, just my name printed. So he told me I had to talk to loss prevention but their office was closed at the time. What does this mean?
What is the name of your state, Jabahut227?

You ask, "What does this mean?" It appears to mean that the bank's loss prevention wants to talk to you but loss prevention's office was closed at the time.

The bank probably wants to talk to you about the counterfeit checks that someone for some reason tried to deposit in your account.

Do you know anyone who might want to submit for deposit to your account $3k in counterfeit checks?

It might be smart for you to consult with an attorney, prior to speaking to loss prevention. The reason for this is that the one who would benefit from the check deposits (if they had cleared) would be you (unless whoever wound up with your "missing" card also had your account password).

Jabahut227

@quincy

I'm not going to complain 3k would sound nice. But I wouldn't be able to get to it without my card now would I?

Jabahut227

You were given starter checks when you opened your account, correct?[/QUOTE

Yes but I don't have actual checks. And the bank representative even told me the signature wasn't mine when I talked to him about the deposits; just my name printed. He said they'll have to give me a new account or close the current one. Honestly don't even trust banks but I only really use my account to receive direct deposits.

quincy

Yes but I don't have actual checks. And the bank representative even told me the signature wasn't mine when I talked to him about the deposits; just my name printed. He said they'll have to give me a new account or close the current one. Honestly don't even trust banks but I only really use my account to receive direct deposits.
My earlier advice to you stands.

It seems off that you lose your card at the same time mysterious checks totaling $3k are deposited in your account.

In other words, I don't quite buy the story you tell (whether it is the truth or not) and I have a feeling that the bank may not buy it either. I recommend you consult with an attorney before heading off to the bank to meet with loss prevention.

By the way, starter checks ARE actual checks. They just do not have your name and address printed on them but they have your routing number and your checking account number on them.

Jabahut227

My earlier advice to you stands.

It seems off that you lose your card at the same time mysterious checks totaling $3k are deposited in your account.

In other words, I don't quite buy the story you tell (whether it is the truth or not) and I have a feeling that the bank may not buy it either. I recommend you consult with an attorney before heading off to the bank to meet with loss prevention.

By the way, starter checks ARE actual checks. They just do not have your name and address printed on them but they have your routing number and your checking account number on them.

I lost it earlier that week and why would I deposit that into my own account. I came talk to someone about it not say my story seems shady.

Jabahut227

Banks issue new cards all the time plus you could walk into the bank and not even need a card.
You guys would've taken it then and kept walking...the bank representative told me that they'll need to either give me a new account or just close it. They deactivated my card already because it wasn't my signature. They knew something wasn't right the moment it got deposited. I'm in high school currently. The hell am I getting these fake checks from.

quincy

I lost it earlier that week and why would I deposit that into my own account. I came talk to someone about it not say my story seems shady.
Okay ... you came here to talk about what you say happened and you talked about it.

My response to what you say happened is that your story is not believable as told. I think you need to speak to an attorney in your area before speaking with loss prevention at your bank. The attorney can explain to you why what you say does not sound logical.

justalayman

You guys would've taken it then and kept walking...the bank representative told me that they'll need to either give me a new account or just close it. They deactivated my card already because it wasn't my signature. They knew something wasn't right the moment it got deposited. I'm in high school currently. The hell am I getting these fake checks from.
No I wouldn't have taken it but I have lost a ATM card before. It gets cancelled and a new one created. I've had the same account for well over 20 years. There was no reason to close the account and open a new one. The fact the bank insists on this suggests something much greater than a lost card.

There are records of where the checks came from. If they were deposited using an ATM, there is a record
Of it and a lot of them have cameras built in to them.

If the checks were deposited at a bank branch office, there is assuredly camera recordings of
The transaction.

You really might want to think about an attorney before you speak with the bank rep.

single317dad

I'm in high school currently. The hell am I getting these fake checks from.
Where do high schoolers get heroin? It happens.

Look, if you don't like quincy's advice, you're free to simply contact the bank and try to work this out on your own, without an attorney. Be aware, though, that what you say to them may be scrutinized there in much the same way it has been here, and your freedom may depend on how truthful you are (and how complicit).

Jabahut227

I'll just say this. They'll see it's not me on camera depositing anything like that because I didn't deposit it. Second, nothing will trace back to me because again I wouldn't simply deposit checks into my own account

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">