• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freeze Cashiers Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheesehead72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Can my husband freeze or stop a cashier's check that was made out to me (in my name only) from our joint checking account to my personal checking account? The balance in my personal account says the check is deposited but the funds are not available yet (it has been 6 days).

I called the bank and they keep saying it will become available. There was a portion available after three days and then that portion became unavailable funds again. Is the bank obligated to tell me if there is a lien or hold on an amount from a third party? Can a third party freeze assets in my personal account without a court order?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Can my husband freeze or stop a cashier's check that was made out to me (in my name only) from our joint checking account to my personal checking account? The balance in my personal account says the check is deposited but the funds are not available yet (it has been 6 days).

I called the bank and they keep saying it will become available. There was a portion available after three days and then that portion became unavailable funds again. Is the bank obligated to tell me if there is a lien or hold on an amount from a third party? Can a third party freeze assets in my personal account without a court order?
Stop payments are allowed on cashiers' checks under very limited circumstances. A bank can refuse to pay the cashiers' check if it was issued in error or a fraudulent check. The bank will be sending you a notice about the why funds were released and then held again.

racer72

My daughter works for a large national bank. She says the only way to place a stop payment on a cashier's check is to return the check to the issuing bank. She also said it can take up to 10 days for the funds to become available for withdrawal.

Antigone*

My daughter works for a large national bank. She says the only way to place a stop payment on a cashier's check is to return the check to the issuing bank. She also said it can take up to 10 days for the funds to become available for withdrawal.
Fraudulent cashiers' are rampant these days. That is a possibilty.

cheesehead72

Yes they can cancel

My personal bank called me and told me that the check had been cancelled and that the funds will not be taken out of the account. Afterwards, I called my other bank (that allowed him to cancel the check) and they said they treat a cashier's check like any other check, he cancelled it verbally.
So FYI: A cashier's check is a bunch of crap and don't bother getting one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">