• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Friend's" Credit Card debt onto My Credit Card - Stuck!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creditcardblues

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My "friend" / roommate of 8 years was in serious credit card trouble. I helped her by consolidating all her debt ($8,500) onto my credit card for 0%. She told me she would pay it off soon, but didn't happen. Missed 2 payments and the rate went up to 22%.

She had no money to pay off the debt and couldn't get approved for a credit card.

I do another balance transfer because I know if she's being charged $300/month in interest the debt will never go away. This time the debt is down to $4,500.

I put $3,500 onto 1 credit card and $1,000 onto 2nd credit card - both under my SSN only. Nothing is in writing just verbal agreement.

The 2nd balance transfer of $1,000 I assumed to purchase her computer w/programs.

Friendship breaks up. I tell her to payoff her debt or take it back. She pays off her debt down to $1,700 and emails me for her files back on her computer and also asks me if she could have the option to buy it back. In that same email she states she has no intentions of ruining my credit or not paying back the credit card debt of $1700. but that she wants her files back.

I respond by email that I insist she pays off the debt first and then we'll discuss the computer. She then starts claiming that she "left" her computer and wants it returned to her. She's trying to make a case that she never sold me the computer since there is no bill of sale and the court does not recognize a balance transfer of debt as payment.

She's offered to payoff the debt plus $1,000 and wants her computer "returned" to her. She will not pay cash and at this point because of all her lying I don't trust a cashier's check from her because stop payment can be made on them. She didn't want to sign anything either.

I'm didn't do the deal with her because it wasn't an honest one and I didn't want her to figure out a way to sue me for more or have a back check & no computer.

Should I take her to small claims? Judge vs Arbitrator? How should I present this? I have a lot of emails. In the beginning she admitted the debt, then she goes on to say that "it was my choice" to take her balance transfer.

She stopped making payments on the credit card debt too.

What should I do? How should I present this?

(lesson learned....never lending...!)

Last edited:

found1

credit card bruites

she will not be billed for a attorney you would hired -contact attorney general of your state with copies of your owership of credit card and and obivious her bills on your credit card, than maybe a attorney ,to submit this to her employment

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
she will not be billed for a attorney you would hired -contact attorney general of your state with copies of your owership of credit card and and obivious her bills on your credit card, than maybe a attorney ,to submit this to her employment
What is this rambling nonsense? :rolleyes:

rhinocl

It sounds like she wants to use a cashier's check to have proof she paid. Perhaps she can meet you at the issuing bank and go with you while you cash it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">