• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frozen Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cncn78

What is the name of your state? NY

My bank (checking) account has been frozen by a creditor/law office, due to a judgement on an old credit card bill I am unable to pay due to disability. My SSI/Social Security Disability checks were directly deposited into my account on Friday (I was not aware of the freeze until Friday). I work a part-time job, usually earning $70 a week, to supplement the SSI/SSD payments. All that is in the bank account is the $540 in Social Security and $7 I had in there before the direct deposit. I called the law office, the lady I spoke to asked me to fax Social Security letters, last 3 months bank statements, and my last paycheck. She called me back today, sounding a bit agitated and telling me "I have to call your bank to get this straightened out, and the last two times I called they were busy". She then asked me about repaying the debt, which I completely understand is my responsibility, but she then floored me by asking me if I could pay $400 down and $200 per month. I kindly told her that was an impossibility, and that I would figure out my finances and call her back to let her know what I would be able to pay per month. I am just stunned right now- my fear is that this office will keep my Social Security money frozen (I know they can't take it, but I believe they can keep it frozen) until I agree to a payment arrangement that I know I will be unable to afford. Can they do this? If I have proven to them that I have SS money in the account, must they release it in a timely manner? I just feel completely stuck right now... any advice would be appreciated.

Betty

I agree - notify the judgment creditor in writing of the fact that you get SSI/SSDI (including amt.) that was direct deposited into your bank account. (You might want to resend proof along with the letter.) Keep a copy of letter & proof for your records. You are correct in that they cannot seize your SSI/SSDI income but it is up to you to prove where your income comes from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">