• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

furniture.com has filed for bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nmbrone

We bought furniture from furniture.com about a year and half ago. We purchased 5 pieces all together, upon delivery, we found that two pieces were damaged beyond repair.

We called back and were assured that replacement pieces had been ordered and would be delivered within the next several months.

Since I still had not payed the remaining 2/3 balance of $2400, I was confident they would get back with me quick enough. Well, they didn't. I was sent a letter from a collections company about the $2400. I'm not satisfied with the 2 pieces of furniture, and have been assured that what I have, is what I get. They will not be sending out any replacements. They offered me a 20% discount on the remaining balance, but, I don't want to pay for the two pieces that are damaged. Deducting the cost of those two pieces only leaves $847 as the balance instead of $2400.

Do they have to accept it? Do I have to pay it? I have all my paperwork explaining that we are still waiting for replacement pieces.

JETX

Do they have to accept it?? I assume that you mean your offer to settle for less. If that assumption is correct, no they do not have to accept your offer.]

Do you have to pay it? No. But you need to consider the repercussions of this decision.

I would send the merchant (or the creditor) a letter detailing your position and willingness to pay the original amount in full upon receipt of the proper furniture. Make your offer of settlement to them. Be sure that you document all of your dealings. Send any correspondence by Certified Return Receipt Requested.

K

kcharmon

i just received a letter from jefferson law office in new orleans and is probably the same as you.

my problem is i received all my furniture, some was returned and resent. i paid all up front with credit cards and that was it. the last time i received anything was in July.

i get a letter saying i owe $305 and i owe nothing, i paid by credit card and it was shipped. the people at this firm say i have to prove i owe nothing. they did not give me any information as to what i owe it for. they said that i owe it and must prove i do not. i have perfect credit and i do not owe anything to this defunct firm. what am i to do.

JETX

You need to read the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collections Practices Act) at http://www.ftc.gov .

In it, you will find what a collection firm can, and cannot do, in attempting to recover a debt. One of the things is that they MUST advise you of the specifics of the debt. Once you know what your rights are, then you can contact the collection agent (lawyer??) and tell them to pound sand!

Also, a real informative site is: http://www.budhibbs.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">