• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnish wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dulcesenora

What is the name of your state? OKLAHOMA.
i am being sued by a vehicle that i turned in about 2 years ago. the amoung is over 4000.00 dollars that i of course dont have. i am a single mom on dhs assistance and also claim head of household. the are talking about garnishing my wages. i have a full time job paid by salary with a gross of 935.00 every two weeks(before taxes)..some people have told not to worry about it and just ignore the court order...if i dont have i dont have it!! is this true, a judgement has already been filed againt me by the court for me to pay this debt...im really worried, i dont have that kind of money and it would really hurt me financially to get my wages garnish...any advise

Ladynred

I am being sued by a vehicle that i turned in about 2 years ago.
Your old car is suing you ??? I didn't know vehicles could file lawsuits :D

Sorry, but it was too funny when I read it..

They can garnish up to 25% of your NET income or 30x the Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. You can't ignore a court order, they already have the judgment. All they have to do is get the writ of garnishment to your employer.

Depending on the OK laws, you may be able to avoid the garnishment if the amount taken creates a hardship in paying your necessary living expenses. I'd have to research OK laws to find out what, if anything, you can do. If you can consult a lawyer, I would do so.

D

dulcesenora

the paper they sent also said that if i had filed bankrupcy to just sent them the case number and the stop the lawsuit..i really cannot afford 800.00 dollars right now but i would rather be 800.00 in debt than have them garnish my wages!!
if i choose to go with the bankrupcy...how long can i wait until i have to file for bankrupcy? i also read in one of your other comments that you cant get your wages garnished if you are head of household...is this true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">