• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brownie42

What is the name of your state? il i'm in debt way over my head . i've been able to pay off several creditors and work out arrangements with the others except for providian. all. they have a judgement against me. my question is do they have to except some sort of payment arrangements before they can just garnish my wages? if they garnish my wages i will not be able to meet the other arrangements that i have worked out

Ladynred

You didn't say what state you're in. Garnishment amounts vary by state, and so do your options to avoid garnishment.

In general, they do NOT have to offer you ANY arrangements before garnishing. If you'd gone to court when on the judgement, you MAY have had a chance to negotiate a payment plan to avoid garnishment. Its unlikely, after the fact, that you'll have any chance to make arrangements now.. aside from a settlement.

B

brownie42

garnishment

i'm sorry but my state is illinois. i did attend the court date for the judgement but was only asked one question, do you owe this money, myu reply was yes and that was it. ever since i got behind i tried to make arrangements but they wouldn't deal nor will their attourneys. if the judge sees what i've done with the others since this started do you think they might at least keep the garnishment below th 15% illinois state law provides for?

racer72

If a garnishment is going to cause so many problems, please consider bankruptcy. Your credit is already bad, bankruptcy will not make it any worse. Filing for bankruptcy will stop all collections and garnishments.

B

brownie42

Well I've given that a lot of thought and figure that it would be the easiest thing to do but sort of want to be responsible for my debt. I was off work for 2 months because of surgery and everyone else has been pretty coopereative except fpr this one company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">