• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a summon to appear in court for writing a bad check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wcamanse

Hello everyone,

I am new here. Please help.

I wrote a check for $10.58 and $18.50 that bounce. And now I'm being summon to appear in court. The check were valid when I wrote them but i had some issues with my bank due to some transactions that i challenged weeks before. and It was in my best interest to Close the account and open a new one. Well by the time I realize that there were still checks that did not go through it was to late. Anyway, it was also my mistake for ignoring the letter that they sent. Now I am face with this.

Please help. This is my first time appearing in court and I don't know what to expect. Do i chalenge this? or just shut my mouth and pay the fines and fees? How much do this commonly cost?

oh by the way I reside in Glasgow, ky. :( :(

HomeGuru

wcamanse said:
Hello everyone,

I am new here. Please help.

I wrote a check for $10.58 and $18.50 that bounce. And now I'm being summon to appear in court. The check were valid when I wrote them but i had some issues with my bank due to some transactions that i challenged weeks before. and It was in my best interest to Close the account and open a new one. Well by the time I realize that there were still checks that did not go through it was to late. Anyway, it was also my mistake for ignoring the letter that they sent. Now I am face with this.

Please help. This is my first time appearing in court and I don't know what to expect. Do i chalenge this? or just shut my mouth and pay the fines and fees? How much do this commonly cost?

oh by the way I reside in Glasgow, ky. :( :(

**A: your excuses do not fly. Why have you NOT paid to resolve these issues directly with the parties?

zippysgoddess

Yes, you had to have ignored more than one notice for it to go this far and make it to court. Normally you get notices from the bank about the overdraft or non-payment of the checks as well as notices from the people/businesses where you wrote the checks.

Your excuses are pretty lame. You could have taken care of this long ago by paying said people/businesses the amount of the check and then whatever fee they charge for an NSF check and had it all done and over with long before now.

The whole reason it went to court was because you showed no intention of taking care of the matter reasonably.

zippysgoddess

Yeppers. Then, even if both places the checks were written to charged $30 for NSF fees, it would have been $90 and much cheaper than the court fees, fines, and etc.

wcamanse

Thanks again:

I came to this forum for some advise on what to expect.

Bashing does not help. No s.h.i.t - i f'ked up.

Now, with real help. Please.

About 3 weeks ago, i called them. They don't want to settle this.

justalayman

About 3 weeks ago, i called them. They don't want to settle this
Of course they do. That is why you are going to court. You just don't want to settle on their terms.

UNLESS the court you are reporting to is a criminal court. If that is the case your problems are much bigger.

wcamanse

justalayman said:
Of course they do. That is why you are going to court. You just don't want to settle on their terms.

UNLESS the court you are reporting to is a criminal court. If that is the case your problems are much bigger.

What do you mean settle on their terms? I am to appear before the Barren Distric Court. name of summon papper is criminal summons?

justalayman

wcamanse said:
What do you mean settle on their terms? I am to appear before the Barren Distric Court. name of summon papper is criminal summons?
It would seem that you are being charged criminally. This is a seperate issue from the civil (money) issue.

wcamanse

What does this all mean. Am i going to end up paying $5000 + jail time or what? What am i going to expect as soon as I walk into the court room? This is my first time? anyone...

justalayman

wcamanse said:
What does this all mean. Am i going to end up paying $5000 + jail time or what? What am i going to expect as soon as I walk into the court room? This is my first time? anyone...
Does it (summons) state what the charges are?

zippysgoddess

It is no wonder they do not want to settle it with you, you had plenty of opportunities for that already, as I stated in my other post. Now they have had to take it to this level because you would not respond.

wcamanse

ok here it is

You are here by summoned to appear before the BARREN DISTRIC COURT on 1-27-2006 at 8:30 am at BARREN COUNTY JUDICIAL CENTER 1st Floor Courtroom B.

A Complaint by Cyndra Crimmins (WAL-MART) charging you with the criminal offonse(s) of: $18.29 CK# 200

On 05/12/2005, MY NAME
obtained property or services of another by deception with intent to deprive the person thereof in an amount UNDER $300.00 in violation of K.R.S. 514.040

Last edited:

wcamanse

zippysgoddess said:
It is no wonder they do not want to settle it with you, you had plenty of opportunities for that already, as I stated in my other post. Now they have had to take it to this level because you would not respond.

hey dude,

if your going to bash. Please don't. I am thankful to have this type of forum where i can ask help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">