• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a summon to appear in court for writing a bad check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zippysgoddess

Well first of all, I AM NOT A DUDE, the username is Zippysgoddess, a goddess is FEMALE.

Second of all, I did not bash whatsoever, I simply stated the facts, if I wanted to bash it would be a lot worse and a lot more harsh than that.

The OP wanted to know why they are facing this, why it is now a criminal charge and etc. I simply stated why, that is the truth and reality of the situation. If they hadn't ignored prior notices, this would not have happened. They don't just slap you with charges for a bounced check, they give you a chance to make good on it.

And to the OP, apparently since you did not respond to the prior letter(s) or even go into the store to straighten it out,(which you could have done, you knew you wrote the check and could have paid them as soon as you found out they were still outstanding) they decided that you deliberately closed the account to avoid making good on that check. Wal-Mart is one of the worst places to do that, they tend to get very upset and nasty over it.

I have no idea what the bad check or criminal check fraud laws are in your state, hopefully someone else can come in and provide more advice on what you might be facing.

Maybe, if you walk in with all money in hand and agree to make good on it, in full, including court fees, you will get off easy.

justalayman

WOW zippy,, I hope that brought some relief.

OP: you may take offense to the comments made by zippysgoddess but she was 100% correct.

Your situation does not get this far without some notice to you. What I quickly read through about this charge is there is a period in which you were allowed to vindicate yourself before criminal charges are filed. You failed to do this and now are faced with the consequences.

You are facing a class A misdemeanor. I couldn't find the possible punishments. Maybe somebody else will help with that.

Real basically, you will be brought before a judge and read the charges. At this point the judge will probably ask you if you have or want an attorney. You may be eligable for a public defender, there are restrictions and requirements to qualify for one. If you do not understand what is happening, it is usually in your best interest to get an attorney.

wcamanse

zippysgoddess said:
Well first of all, I AM NOT A DUDE, the username is Zippysgoddess, a goddess is FEMALE.

Second of all, I did not bash whatsoever, I simply stated the facts, if I wanted to bash it would be a lot worse and a lot more harsh than that.

The OP wanted to know why they are facing this, why it is now a criminal charge and etc. I simply stated why, that is the truth and reality of the situation. If they hadn't ignored prior notices, this would not have happened. They don't just slap you with charges for a bounced check, they give you a chance to make good on it.

And to the OP, apparently since you did not respond to the prior letter(s) or even go into the store to straighten it out,(which you could have done, you knew you wrote the check and could have paid them as soon as you found out they were still outstanding) they decided that you deliberately closed the account to avoid making good on that check. Wal-Mart is one of the worst places to do that, they tend to get very upset and nasty over it.

I have no idea what the bad check or criminal check fraud laws are in your state, hopefully someone else can come in and provide more advice on what you might be facing.

Maybe, if you walk in with all money in hand and agree to make good on it, in full, including court fees, you will get off easy.

well. that wasn't so hard...;)

wcamanse

justalayman said:
WOW zippy,, I hope that brought some relief.

OP: you may take offense to the comments made by zippysgoddess but she was 100% correct.

Your situation does not get this far without some notice to you. What I quickly read through about this charge is there is a period in which you were allowed to vindicate yourself before criminal charges are filed. You failed to do this and now are faced with the consequences.

You are facing a class A misdemeanor. I couldn't find the possible punishments. Maybe somebody else will help with that.

Real basically, you will be brought before a judge and read the charges. At this point the judge will probably ask you if you have or want an attorney. You may be eligable for a public defender, there are restrictions and requirements to qualify for one. If you do not understand what is happening, it is usually in your best interest to get an attorney.[/QUOTE

Thanks...

zippysgoddess

Message from Mama'spreciousbabyZeusy:

Mom is having problems remembering to take her pain meds at the times she is supposed to, therefore she is in pain and crabby on a regular basis! If you don't have four legs, fur and the capability to purr, you might be in trouble when she is in those moods!

---meow meow purr

Ladynred

KY has no civil penalties for bad checks, just criminal, so of course it's written as a criminal matter. Wal-Mart is relentless, you'd be better off just paying them and the fines. No, it won't be $5,000, but you will be charged attorney's fees and court costs because you ignored the early attempts to get you to make it right.

KY law on bad checks:
Up to $500 fine. One year in penitentiary for a misdemeanor. Felony punishable by imprisonment from one to five years and a fine of not more than $10,000, or double the offender's gain from commission of the crime, whichever is greater.
For a lousy $18.29, you could be looking at a big fine and possible jail. However, they would have to prove INTENT - that you DELIBERATELY wrote those bad checks knowing you didn't have the money to cover them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">