• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hmm A Deposit that isn't mine put into my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

catullus87

California-

Well today I go to check my checking account online, and I find myself 500 dollars richer... My bank is Bank of America, and I am wondering what do I do? Is the money mine, or would I be liable if it was used? I'm confused and its hard to think about my morals when I'm dead broke...

catullus87 said:
California-

Well today I go to check my checking account online, and I find myself 500 dollars richer... My bank is Bank of America, and I am wondering what do I do? Is the money mine, or would I be liable if it was used? I'm confused and its hard to think about my morals when I'm dead broke...
Notify the bank of the error.

Veronica1228

catullus87 said:
California-

There is no way for us to know if the money is yours. Contact your bank and find out where it came from. If it is a direct deposit (aka ACH) then they can tell you who it came from. They may even be able to give you a contact phone number. If it is a paper or check deposit, they can give you a copy of the deposit slip and a "deposit reconstruction," which will consist of copies of the checks included. If after finding out where the funds came from you find out that they are in fact NOT yours, tell your bank immediately.

Be warned: If you decide to spend the money anyway, your bank will, some where down the line, debit your account even if you no longer have the funds. You will run in to serious overdraft problems. It is better to clear this up as soon as possible.

stevek3

fast said:
catullus87,

If I knew the 'legal answer' to your 'legal question', I would give it to you, but since I don't know the 'legal' answer, I cannot. I can tell you that you are only likely to receive 'ethical responses' to your 'legal question' and this is why: others are not likely to arm you with the legal knowledge (if any) to advance your situation when it 'seemingly' violates most peoples understanding of ethics and morals.

So then, why would 'I' answer if I could? Simple. We have all learned that we must PAY FOR OUR MISTAKES. This lesson is taught to us time and time again. We pay the price for our mistakes. We are human and we all make mistakes from time to time, and the fact is relentless, that we must continually endure having to pay the price - for our mistakes.

Awww, but now you are on the receiving end of anothers mistake now. Oh, how grand it is that someone else will finally have to pay the price for their mistake - right? Well (anyway), I guess you can imagine the rest of the story!
Before the bank notices, you should withdraw the entire $500 and offer it to Britney Spears. Tell her she gets to keep it if she expressly agrees to finally put a permanent stop to the implant surgeries. What is she up to now, Implant Surgery #26? Saline bags ain't light bulbs with different wattages, for Pete's sake. Just make up your damn mind, and choose a permanent cup size already. Either that, or implant yourself a dimmer switch. Simply inflate and deflate as needed.

There, I'm glad I got that off my chest. So to speak.

Ladynred

Lets get real here !! The deposit is an obvious mistake and that money is NOT yours to keep. If you take that money and spend it, when BofA discovers its mistake or the REAL owner of that $$ wants to know where their money went, then BofA will come after YOU for that $500. They will take it out of your account, whether you have any or not, and you will be seriously overdrawn. On top of that $500 you'll have LOTS of overdraft fees, so you will owe a LOT more than $500. YOu think you're broke now ?? You'll be a lot broker if you take money that's NOT YOURS.

Notify the bank ASAP and resist the illegal temptation to take it !

stevek3

Who's Liable? said:
Yeah, Punk

O.K., now that we know you think he's a punk, what's your opinion regarding this Britney Spears fake boob thing? Small one day, huge the next day, medium the next day, small the next day, medium-large the next day, and on and on and on. She rotates fake boobs like she's rotating her tires.

C

catullus87

I like this holier than thou attitude some of you take, cause it's bs. I appreciate the sound advice from people who cared not to personally attack me, but for the ones that did? Get a reality check, attacking people over the internet is not going to make one change, it just shows your own insecurities. I'm done with this forum, and steve3k your lame attempt at humor with the Britney Spears thing was really quite pathetic. I really hope that you are not an adult, and if you aren't its also quite sad that you lurk around legal advice forums attacking people. Of course though, you've never thought about doing anything wrong because you archetype of purity and innocence.

stevek3

catullus87 said:
I like this holier than thou attitude some of you take, cause it's bs. I appreciate the sound advice from people who cared not to personally attack me, but for the ones that did? Get a reality check, attacking people over the internet is not going to make one change, it just shows your own insecurities. I'm done with this forum, and steve3k your lame attempt at humor with the Britney Spears thing was really quite pathetic. I really hope that you are not an adult, and if you aren't its also quite sad that you lurk around legal advice forums attacking people. Of course though, you've never thought about doing anything wrong because you archetype of purity and innocence.
Now, let me get this straight...I give a playful jab at the guy who called YOU a punk, and you're accusing me of attacking YOU? Are you for real?

Ya know, maybe he's right. Maybe you ARE a punk. Go ahead and spend your $500 "gift" to your heart's content. Hey, maybe Best Buy is having a really great Christmas sale. Enjoy!

R

rickcf

missing $500

I am missing $500 that was deposited into my www.netbank.com account through a local Keybank.com atm machine. It was a check (#1820) I had made out to myself and the funds cleared the bank but never showed up into the Netbank account. I even have the canceled check that says it cleared for $500.

I am in the process of filing a complaint with the FDIC OTS division to try to get my funds back because neither Key bank nor Netbank are willing to help me. I am not saying that the $500 you got was mine but I find it incredibly ironic that you would have the exact opposite problem as me. Needless to say I cannot reccomend Keybank nor Netbank for anyones banking needs unless your need is to throw away money.

Rick

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">