• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hold On My Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jj_spliff

No, do not open an account at the same bank. Its like trying to hide where you live by changing the color of your house. Calling the original creditor isn't going to do much good. I'm sure they already know this is going to court and they probably want it to. You can try, but don't expect much. Go to court and bring whatever you have, bills for living expenses, travel expenses, etc. whatever you have on paper showing what you already owe.

I

IMDESPERATE

Thank you for all of the info. If I can't find the statements of how long ago I paid on the defaulted account (the papers were destroyed)how will that effect the situation? I can show that I'm currently subletting an apt. in NYC, I also have other bills and with freelancing I have to have an expense account to get future jobs. I also have other credit card payments. Should I take the statements from the other credit cards and expenses with me to court to show that I need a reasonable pymnt plan. How do I get the other 3 credits reports? The court froze my bank account so I don't have extra monies. Is there a simple way to negotiate with the courts. What to expect from court judgement. Will they offer me to pay on a monthly installment plan? thank you again.

Ladynred

If the debt doesn't show on your credit reports, then it has gone beyond the 7-year reporting limit and its most definitely old and most likely beyond the SOL.

Take to court whatever paperwork and records you can pull together that will give the court an accurate picture of your financial status, debts and all. It would be best to organize everything so that you can easily answer any and all questions asked, judges don't like to be kept waiting while you dig through a pile of papers. I'd make a spreadsheet of your assets, liabilities and income and have several copies so that the judge and attorneys can have a copy if asked. Make sure you have receipts, bills, statements, invoices, etc. to back up what's on the spreadsheet. You probably want to take copies of your bank statements too.

You can get copies of your credit report from Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion at each of their websites.

www.experian.com
www.transunion.com
www.equifax.com

It costs about $9 for each one. Stay away from 'consoldidated' reports as they may not have complete information on them.

You may have some negotiation room in court. Its my understanding that a payment plan is ofter offered, sometimes for less than the full amount, in lieu of garnishment or siezures.
Depends on the attorneys and the judge I guess. The best thing you can do for yourself in court is to be honest and organized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">