• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chinabloo

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband lost his job early this year so paying our creditors has been tough. We're paying the necessities first (cars, mortgage, utilities, food, etc.

I owe Citibank around $7500 on a credit card. They have a judgement against me for the amount which I don't dispute. Twice I have received a "Notice of Court Proceeding to Collect Debt". One of the options was to fill out a "Payment to Avoid Garnishment" forms and return it with payment within 15 days. I did this twice and sent the $407.55 each time to avoid the garnishment.

Now, I have received a letter saying that a lien has been filed against any real estate that I may own or have intereste in.

Can they put a lien on my property even though this is an unsecured debt? Does this mean they can force my husband and I to sell our house in order to pay them? Or, does this just mean that IF we were to sell it, we have to pay them first?

H

hexeliebe

Can they put a lien on my property even though this is an unsecured debt?
Yes, it's called a Judgement Lien.

Does this mean they can force my husband and I to sell our house in order to pay them?
No

does this just mean that IF we were to sell it, we have to pay them first?
Yes.

However, have the deed and any lien viewed by an attorney in your area for further clarifications as to your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">