• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital Billing-Unauthorized Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarianneV

Arizona

My 17 year old daughter was taken to the hospital by co-workers against her wishes. The hospital treated her without my knowledge of her being there. When I finally got there, they refused to tell me what was wrong and had already treated her. They are now trying to bill me over $400. I called as soon as I received their first bill, explaining how I did not have prior knowledge of her treatment and therefore I should not pay the bill. A supervisor was supposed to get back to me. Several more bills were sent, and I returned them with letters of explanations, yet received no response. Now I get a letter from a collection agency.
Do I have to pay this bill in this case, as my daughter is underage (now living in IL with her dad) and I had no knowledge until after treatment was administered and not being told what was wrong, by the doctor or personnel?
I am unemployed and applying for disability, I cannot afford an attorney or to pay this bill. Should the company where my daughter worked be responsible, since they took her to the hospital when she said she was OK, and didn't want to go?

I would appreciate someone's input on this. Thank you.

racer72

If the injuries were life threatening, they have the right to treat the injuries and stabalize the patient till approval is given by a parent or legal guardian for further treatment. If the treatment could have waited, they should have waited for you. Ask the collection agency for a copy of a signed consent form for the treatment given. As stated in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ( http://www.financeadvocate.com/collection/FDCPA.htm ) they must prove that the debt is valid. The hospital should require a signature before starting treatment except for life threatening injuries. You should also contact your state attorney generals office and see what they say about a hospital treating a minor without consent.

M

MarianneV

Racer72-Thank you!

Thank you for your reply, racer72. I am going to contact the collection agency with a copy of a letter I sent with the last bill from the hospital (this past January), stating that I did not give consent to my child being treated. It was not a life threatening situation. She walked into the hospital with the co-workers. I will request a copy of a signed consent form from the hospital. If they cannot produce one...I will tell the collection agency to notify the hospital and to be advised that I will be contacting my attorney regarding the harassement and non-communication from the hospital. I will also request the attorney look into the collection practice of the collection agency. Once again, thank you for your advice, I thought that is what I should do, but it is good to get input from other sources, since I am new to this state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">