• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I prove to Credit Card company my credit cards were fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yanyan80

What is the name of your state? New York

My credit card information was stolen at the apartment where I used to live. I didn't find out until recently when my application for another card was denied. Now I have $4,000 debt and have to fight the credit card company about it. I have asked for statements and payment information. The lawyer at the credit card company refused to tell me which form of proof I need to provide and asked me to get my own lawyer. I don't think it is fair for me, a fraud victim to pay for legal fee. To be honest, I don't believe any lawyer will be interested in a case involving $4,000 only. The person who did this certainly did some research and know that most of the companies wouldn't investigate in cases under $5,000.

What should I do? Obviously, I will file a police report once I receive the information from the credit card company.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

moburkes

What is the name of your state? New York

My credit card information was stolen at the apartment where I used to live. I didn't find out until recently when my application for another card was denied. Now I have $4,000 debt and have to fight the credit card company about it. I have asked for statements and payment information. The lawyer at the credit card company refused to tell me which form of proof I need to provide and asked me to get my own lawyer. I don't think it is fair for me, a fraud victim to pay for legal fee. To be honest, I don't believe any lawyer will be interested in a case involving $4,000 only. The person who did this certainly did some research and know that most of the companies wouldn't investigate in cases under $5,000.

What should I do? Obviously, I will file a police report once I receive the information from the credit card company.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Yep. The police report is the first step. Maybe, by the date on the application you can prove that you didn't live there?

yanyan80

Thanks.

The problem is there are more than one credit cards, one was opened after I moved so that will be easy to prove. But I am not sure what's the best form of proof for transactions not mine. I think if we look at the payment information--the thief did pay $10 or $20 here and there to keep the credit cards active, again, they know how to do this, we could prove we didn't make the payment. But the credit card company doesn't seem to care enough to investigate so the whole burden is on me.

moburkes

Thanks.

The problem is there are more than one credit cards, one was opened after I moved so that will be easy to prove. But I am not sure what's the best form of proof for transactions not mine. I think if we look at the payment information--the thief did pay $10 or $20 here and there to keep the credit cards active, again, they know how to do this, we could prove we didn't make the payment. But the credit card company doesn't seem to care enough to investigate so the whole burden is on me.
Unfortunately, they get the "its not mine" line, often.

article26

I had this happen to me, what I did was got a credit report and disputed each and every credit card. ( a family member actually stole my identity), I did not have a police report because I just coudn't prosecute this person so I suffered for years with a bad credit rating because I was ignorant of the laws and unable to turn this person in. The credit bureua contacts the creditors and they technically have 30 days to validate the card. When disputing, I would recommmend that you request a copy of the application that you supposedly filled out for the credit cards in question. In my particular case they were unable to supply me with that information and as a result the credit bureua removed all 3 of the credit cards. Dont give up, persistence really pays off, sometimes being a pain in the ass is a good thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">