• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can one find out about Judgements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melrorer

What is the name of your state? VA

About a year ago a friend of mine received a call from a collection agency to collect a debt from 1992 and of course there is interest. He sent them a letter advising them that this is time barred (13 years old) and a ceased and desised letter was sent to them by fax and certified mail. He did not hear anything from them and there is nothing on his credit files about this debt. How long does a collection agency have to order a judgement against a person and how can one find out if there would or is a judgement against them?

Thanks for your help,

JETX

What you are asking is called a SOL (Statute of Limitations) and it is different for each state and for each specific claim of action.

As to how to find out about a judgment, you can check your credit file and see if one shows up.... or contact the county and district clerks in your county (and EVERY separate small claims court, since they are usually separate).

melrorer

Thank you for your reply..

As to how to find out about a judgment, you can check your credit file and see if one shows up.... or contact the county and district clerks in your county (and EVERY separate small claims court, since they are usually separate). [/B][/QUOTE]

He received several copies of his credit report over the last year and there are no judgements. Does that me that the collection agency has terminated their efforts? How long does the collection agency have to file a judment against a person?

Thanks again for you help

JETX

"Does that me that the collection agency has terminated their efforts?"
*** No. It only means that the collection agency (or creditor) has not obtained a judgment that YOU know about.

"How long does the collection agency have to file a judment against a person?"
*** Depends on the source of the debt. The SOL (Statute of Limitations) in VA is:
3 years for an open account (credit card) and 5 years for a written contract.

melrorer

What is CAMCO?

Hello and Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me Camco is?

"How long does the collection agency have to file a judment against a person?"
*** Depends on the source of the debt. The SOL (Statute of Limitations) in VA is:
3 years for an open account (credit card) and 5 years for a written contract.

When you say 3 years for an open account. This account was back in 1992 since the last activity. This is considered closed by now? Right?
Also, the ceased and desised, sol and time barred letter was sent to this collection agency in Feb 2002. Can they re open this account from this letter. I would think they can't.

Can you please verify.....

Thanks so much for all your help.

JETX

"Can you please tell me Camco is?"
*** Camco is a low-life, bottom feeding, scum-sucking debt purchaser specializing in purchasing old expired debt and trying to intimidate the debtor into paying.
More on their antics can be found at:
http://www.budhibbs.com/budhibbs/agencydetails.asp?ID=127
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/03/camco.htm
and LOTS of complaints and history at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Camco+debt

"This account was back in 1992 since the last activity. This is considered closed by now? Right?"
*** Right. It sounds like this debt is LONG dead.

"Can they re open this account from this letter. I would think they can't.'
*** No, they can't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">