• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can it be "refusal to pay" when I've authorized payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

What is the name of your state? GA

My husband and I recently ran into some financial problems and I'm now attempting to get our money situation caught up.
I've been making payment arrangements with our creditors, most of whom have been happy to work with me.
I called my Visa company on Saturday and arranged for a $10 immediate payment, and then $26 check, dated 7/5.
The guy's supervisor called today and said the man I spoke with didn't know about the statement closing dates due to the 7/4 holiday.
Therefore, I would have to change the $26 check's date to today, in order to make the 7/2 closing date.
She assured me it would not clear before Friday, ,due to all the bank's being closed Thursday and Friday.
I do not like my checking account being in negative (even on paper) and I felt the margin of error was too great, so I refused to change the check date.
She then told me that the bank has been generous in giving me the money and the least I can do is pay it back. She also said the bank loses money everytime they have to change my collection status.
By refusing to change the date, she said my collection status would go from a 3 to a 4. She was also flagging my account as "refusal to pay."
That makes absolutely no sense to me. I had one payment post immediately and that 7/5 check will show $26 payment.
How can it be refusal to pay?
By the way, my total balance (before the payments this week) is $433.00.
Thanks for your help!
:)

Ladynred

Most likely the person at the bank was just trying to twist your arm to make you pay when THEY wanted it. They could still make the notation, but it could also be all B.S.

Are you saying that you authorized these people to draft your checking account ?? That makes you awfully vulnerable to their just going in and taking what they want when they want, authorization or not. I've had it done to me and I burned a few ears when I found out about it. Original creditors can be nastier to deal with than collection agencies because the FDCPA does not control them.

If they actually do change your status there isn't much you can do except to keep making payments by the arrangements you made. You could pull a credit report in 30 days and see what they actually did or did not do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">