• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I stop collection phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

psantos

What is the name of your state? IL

Question ... does anyone here know address of MRS collection agency??

They have just called me at work for the second time after I told them both times that my employer does not allow such calls here. Today, Eleanor would not give me her phone number or address and was REALLY rude. I am fuming.

Not my debt, belongs to my ex. Credit bureau removed it after I sent them documentation and followed instructions found at this site. THANKS

Also, I was just going to send the letter to contact me by mail only, do you think this will be good enough.

Problem is, I live with my sister right now, I don't want them calling there and bothering her either. Can I stop them from calling her house too?

Thanks

Pam

P

psantos

I'm not sure why they are calling me. I know I cancelled all joint accounts. The ones that I was an authorized user on, they would not let me close - he had to close them. I am guessing it was one of those and the CA is just fishing hoping I'm dumb enough to pay it? In any case it is NOT my debt.

P

psantos

THANKS for website - much appreciated. I will send them a letter.

bigun

Great! If they keep messing with you, you may be able to bust their aZZ with this case. MBNA tried to stick a lady who had been an AU with responsibility and she got 'em for $90K. Nailed 'em on not conducting a reasonable investigation.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/4th/031235p.pdf

Johnson v. MBNA America Bank, NA
On 2/11/04, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals handed down its decision in this appeal, affirming a judgment entered against MBNA following a jury verdict in favor of plaintiff Johnson on a claim that MBNA violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act by failing to conduct a reasonable investigation of plaintiff's dispute concerning an MBNA account appearing on her credit report. MBNA's first contention was that the district court made an error when it ruled furnishers of credit information must perform a "reasonable" investigation of consumer disputes. MBNA, in essence, says there isn't a qualitiative component to the investigation provision that would allow a court or jury to assess whether the creditor's investigation was reasonable. The Court went back to the plain meaning of the term "investigation" and concluded it would make little sense to believe that Congress would use the term "investigation" to include superficial, unreasonable inquiries. The court therefore held that creditors must indeed conduct a "reasonable" investigation of their records after receiving notice of a consumer dispute from a credit reporting agency. The next issue, then, was whether the jury's determination that MBNA did not conduct a reasonable investigation was supported by the evidence. The Court looks at the steps MBNA took and finds that a jury could reasonably conclude that MBNA acted unreasonably. Although the disputed credit account was for $17,000, the jury found that Johnson's actual damages stemming from the incorrect information furnished by MBNA totaled $90,300. After finding that MBNA had negligently failed to comply with the FCRA, the jury awarded Johnson $90,300 and that verdict was upheld on appeal. There are many other issues discussed. Read the Court's opinion for complete details.

P

psantos

You are my hero bigun. I am going to do lots of reading and compose my letter. I printed out that document and a bunch of other stuff to read tonight. I do have one other question though - I saw on another post you mentioned the Public Service Commission. What are they and how do I find mine in IL? I might need to contact them.

THANKS AGAIN

Pam

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">