• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I vacate a judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarah777

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I filed for Chp 7 and recieved my discharge today. My question is this, I had 2 judgements that were dismissed but I also heard that there is yet another process I need to complete regarding the judgements, something called "vacating the judgements".

Can someone please explain this to me in detail as I filed pro se for my bankruptcy and do not have a lawyer. Thanks!

bigun

Sarah,

Basically, you go before the court that issued the judgement and apply for it to be vacated on the grounds that thedebt that created it no longer exists. If you don't use a lawyer, go to the Court Clerk's office and ask for assistance as to legal forms, scheduling, etc.

S

sarah777

Thanks for the info. But do I have to go to the court in person? Because one of the judgements was issued in another state. Also what happens if I do not vacate the judgements? One of them noi longer appears on my credit report. Thanks again!

bigun

If you don't vacate the judgements, they'll sit on your credit report for 7 years. As you mentioned. one has fallen off already. AS to if you have to show up personally, call the Court Clerk and explain the situation and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">