• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long are banks required to keep records of your account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Widowed Stepmom

What is the name of your state? ARIZONA

I called the FDIC and THEY didnt know. My bank says after an account has been closed for over 7 years, they have no records. That just doesnt seem right. Any insight? Im sure there are microfish or SOME kind of records from 10 years back. Help?

VeronicaLodge

i dont know the answer but 7 years after an account is closed? that seems like a really long time to me, i would think it would be more like 2 or 3 after an account is closed. why didnt you hang onto your own records?

Widowed Stepmom

Sorry bout the double post, didnt know if I had put it in the right place at first...with regard to keeping my bank records, I DO keep them for a couple years, but I need to get something from 10 years ago. I thought they'd have them on microfish or something.

Antigone*

Sorry bout the double post, didnt know if I had put it in the right place at first...with regard to keeping my bank records, I DO keep them for a couple years, but I need to get something from 10 years ago. I thought they'd have them on microfish or something.
Seven years is exactly how long a bank will keep records.

Ladynred

Im sure there are microfish or SOME kind of records from 10 years back.
Sure, they embed the documents on miniaturized gold fish and guppies.. :D

The term is microFICHE - there are no FISH swimming around the bank.

Banks do keep records on microFICHE, for 7 years, but once an account has been closed, they generally dump the records after 2 or 3.

Antigone*

Sure, they embed the documents on miniaturized gold fish and guppies.. :D

The term is microFICHE - there are no FISH swimming around the bank.

Banks do keep records on microFICHE, for 7 years, but once an account has been closed, they generally dump the records after 2 or 3.
I have fish in my office at the bank ;)

Just to make it crystal clear. We keep account records seven years for all accounts, open and closed because that is exactly how long Uncle Sam has to send the sharks out to get you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">