• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can a bank legally freeze your account for suspicious activity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Recently my bank decided to freeze one of my accounts due to suspicious activity. I learned that, due to what seems to be a system error, I received dozens of small "trial deposits" from American Express- much more than the typical two you receive when verifying an external bank account, and my bank froze the account and left me a voicemail. The next day I received several dozen more trial deposits (apparently when they freeze your account you can still receive deposits, how convenient) and my bank decided to freeze all of my accounts, my debit cards and my savings accounts completely unrelated to the 1 checking account this was happening on.

I told them I have no idea why it was happening and to unfreeze the rest of my accounts that are unrelated to the 1 checking account they are investigating- the man said he'd speak to his supervisor and let me know when the unrelated accounts were unfrozen. It's been over a week now and I have bills coming up that I am unable to pay due to this, all of my money is with this bank and I never imagined they could hold my money like this, even money and accounts that have been left dormant for years.

My questions are, is this legal to freeze all of my accounts? How long can a bank legally freeze all your accounts without any word?

FarmerJ

I would bet they have language in account agreements that let them do this but here is my suggestion go to the bank and insist on talking with a supervisor person and insist they stop this crap and release all funds but the so called trial deposits and if they wont do it tell them you wont hesitate to make sure every one you know and the tv news consumer programs all hear how they will not limit the account hold to just the amounts in question but are holding all your funds hostage and then i guess you should just plan on never having all your eggs in one bank again. like I said i bet they have account agreements set to allow this , but that doesnt make it right and im sure they wont like having negative media attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">