• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to stop collection calls at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DrowningInDebt

What is the name of your state? SC

Well after months of credit card companies calling me at home, today I received a phone call at my place of employment. Can I stop these calls? How do I go about doing that?

I am NOT allowed personal phone calls at my job and I don't need personal phone calls to become an issue with my employer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ladynred

Sure.. send them a Cease and Desist letter, certified, return receipt requested. In it you tell them not to contact you by PHONE either at home or at work, only by mail. They MUST comply. If they keep calling after you know they've received the letter, then they are violating the FDCPA and you can sue them.

S

sweetpeapoetry

There's a book you should read. You can find it in most library systems. The title is "Stop It".
I can't remember the author's name, but it had the octagonal shape on the front cover with the words "Stop It" in the center. It answers this and more and has an excellent chapter on "bullet-proofing" yourself against collectors.

JETX

The FDCPA applies to 3rd party debt collectors (not to the primary creditor), so if the calling party IS a 3rd party, the following applies:
"§ 805. Communication in connection with debt collection [15 USC 1692c]
(a) COMMUNICATION WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY. Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt --
(1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge of circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer is after 8 o'clock antimeridian and before 9 o'clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer's location;
(2) if the debt collector knows the consumer is represented by an attorney with respect to such debt and has knowledge of, or can readily ascertain, such attorney's name and address, unless the attorney fails to respond within a reasonable period of time to a communication from the debt collector or unless the attorney consents to direct communication with the consumer; or
(3) at the consumer's place of employment if the debt collector knows or has reason to know that the consumer's employer prohibits the consumer from receiving such communication."

The full FDCPA can be found at:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">