• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband hiding the facts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikilynn

State of Ohio.
What can I do if my husband falsely given me information?

Almost two years ago my husband asked me to sign step son's school student loan telling me I would be denied since I didn't make enough income. In trusting what he was telling me, I signed the loan papers to be approved. I never heard or seen anything after I signed. I had just paid off my student loan at the beginning of the year. I noticed that my credit was going down a student loan was listed. I asked my husband about it and he said they keep students loans on there for a while even after you pay them off. Once again, I trusted what he was telling me as I watch my credit score continue to go down to 607 from 704. This past weekend as I am sitting looking at my credit score my step daughter comes to me with my mail. Just so happens to be a formal letter from the lender who is handling the school loans. At this time, I realize that the loan that he told me would be denied is completely in my name and very active. I confront him with only two questions. Why are these loans in my name and how long have you known about it. One answer he told me is that he just found out himself by the letter I just received. Two days later I search for this letter and finally found it along with many other opened letters from the school and two other companies concerning the school loans. One letter that really caught my attention sent from the school explaining that I was approved for the loan and had 90 days to get everything in order and sent off to get the loan through. I haven't talked to him about finding the letters yet, I have to get beyond the shock and get out of this anger stage that I am in. My question concerns of what are my rights? I understand this is a school loan and I signed them, but he had the chance to back out of it after he found out I was approved. I know it's illegal for him to open my mail, but I never saw any of the papers until I went searching for them. What can I do about my situation?

Proserpina

State of Ohio.

Almost two years ago my husband asked me to sign step son's school student loan telling me I would be denied since I didn't make enough income. In trusting what he was telling me, I signed the loan papers to be approved. I never heard or seen anything after I signed. I had just paid off my student loan at the beginning of the year. I noticed that my credit was going down a student loan was listed. I asked my husband about it and he said they keep students loans on there for a while even after you pay them off. Once again, I trusted what he was telling me as I watch my credit score continue to go down to 607 from 704. This past weekend as I am sitting looking at my credit score my step daughter comes to me with my mail. Just so happens to be a formal letter from the lender who is handling the school loans. At this time, I realize that the loan that he told me would be denied is completely in my name and very active. I confront him with only two questions. Why are these loans in my name and how long have you known about it. One answer he told me is that he just found out himself by the letter I just received. Two days later I search for this letter and finally found it along with many other opened letters from the school and two other companies concerning the school loans. One letter that really caught my attention sent from the school explaining that I was approved for the loan and had 90 days to get everything in order and sent off to get the loan through. I haven't talked to him about finding the letters yet, I have to get beyond the shock and get out of this anger stage that I am in. My question concerns of what are my rights? I understand this is a school loan and I signed them, but he had the chance to back out of it after he found out I was approved. I know it's illegal for him to open my mail, but I never saw any of the papers until I went searching for them. What can I do about my situation?
You signed for a loan for his son, yes? Did you read it first? Are you still married?

Mikilynn

You signed for a loan for his son, yes? Did you read it first? Are you still married?

Yes I signed it & no I didn't read it. He explained it to me saying I would be denied. I asked him if he was 100% positive I would be denied & he said yes so I trusted him. Trust me I learned from this & yes still married. I only found out about all this 5 days ago

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
State of Ohio.

I would attempt to seek a reasonable settlement on this matter, as well as any others, during your divorce.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she is able to read, is an adult, and is considered competent, then she needs to take responsibility for her own actions.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Yes I signed it & no I didn't read it. He explained it to me saying I would be denied. I asked him if he was 100% positive I would be denied & he said yes so I trusted him. Trust me I learned from this & yes still married. I only found out about all this 5 days ago
Why would you apply for a loan you hoped would be denied? What were you trying to accomplish by doing this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">