• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband's Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emily Russell

What is the name of your state? Illinois.
From reading this forum, I have found out that in Illinois I am not responsible for my husband's credit card debts if he should pass away (he is 70) when I am not on the account in any manner, which is fortunate because he has run up huge debts on fancy trips by himself, etc. Here is my question: we both have some credit cards with the same companies (Capital One and Citibank). If he passed away, would they try to add his debt to my account, even tho technically they should not? If so, would a letter from a lawyer be enough to reverse that action? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Ladynred

If he passed away, would they try to add his debt to my account, even tho technically they should not?
No, and they definitely should not even THINK about it.

You are not directly liable for his debts should he pass away. However, debts of the deceased are paid out of his estate. IF he leaves an estate, creditors would be allowed to file claims against it thru probate. If his estate is insolvent, then creditors get nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">