• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I guess you can't Ignore them forever or Summons in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kramer2005

What is the name of your state? California

I've been in and out of work since 2001 and have ignored multiple credit cards for the last few years debt totalling about $60,000.

A week ago my building super was handed a summons from the SF superior court which he slid under my door...A bit of research has really just confused me as to options. I can't pay, I'm unemployed. Looking at my credit report it seems as though all the card debt has been sold to 3rd parties...

This got me to looking into what my options are and the big on seems to be chapter 7 bankruptcy. I rent and own a car with a bbv of about $1500...

Do I have other options? Will bankruptcy deal with this summons and stop others from coming? and How do i handle the summons? What's the best way to proceed?

Thanx Kindly for all advice...

Ladynred

Yes, bankruptcy will stop ALL collections, including a lawsuit.

How do you handle the summons ?? Answer it. You are required to file an Answer to their Complaint within a set time limit. If you don't, they get an automatic win and a default judgment against you.

When was the last time you paid the ORIGINAL CREDITOR on this debt ??

teflon_jones

If you have no assets (or very little), then bankruptcy sounds like your best option. It'll wipe these debts away and you'll be at ground zero with no debts, but a bankruptcy on your credit report that'll remain there for 10 years.

Kramer2005

last payments

Hi and thanx for the advice so far...

I opened this account in 1/2002. I probably stopped paying about 6/2002...

Thanx

DerbyGirl

Kramer2005 said:
I've been in and out of work since 2001 and have ignored multiple credit cards for the last few years debt totalling about $60,000
I opened this account in 1/2002. I probably stopped paying about 6/2002...

Just so I am reading this right - are you saying - while you were knowingly out of work - you wracked up 60k in credit card debt?

DG

Y

ylen13

teflon_jones said:
If you have no assets (or very little), then bankruptcy sounds like your best option. It'll wipe these debts away and you'll be at ground zero with no debts, but a bankruptcy on your credit report that'll remain there for 10 years.
i thought it was only 7 years?

Ladynred

Nope, bankruptcy stays on your reports for 10 years. Its one of the few things that goes beyond the normal 7 year reporting period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">