• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to take a big bank to court - How?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strife26

I am in California.
I bank with a certain terrible big bank.
I had a serious account take over and this bank did not act to stop anything from happening. I ended up incurring $150 late fees for my rent and my landlord threatened to evict over this. I did not have money available in my bank after the take over to pay rent, and had absolutely NO access to my account while criminals did. This bank was well aware of this, and never helped me freeze my account, lock my account, or change my account number to protect me. Matter a fact, after 7 calls and 3 managers I got a tiny bit of help. Basically, his help was giving me an incorrect balance. After that, he told me that they are just protecting me, I guess by NOT giving me access to my account, not letting me speak with anyone, not closing/freezing/locking/changing my account. Somehow at this bank, protecting you means the complete opposite of that.

So that is the gist of the issue. They may be in violation of Regulation E, which another bank told me this.

They also told me that I MUST change my account number, and that they cannot. So, I have 0 access to my account or money, and no one would help me, yet I am supposed to change my account number by opening a new account. Ok, that is 100% ridiculous, but what's worse? Once I finally got access to my account, I attempted to create a new account so I could transfer everything over before I direct deposit to another bank. Well, they put all their eggs into one basket (a pin from my mobile app which I never had from day one) so we had to change or add this pin to my account. Well, I can't open a new account until this magical pin refreshes. Well, it takes 2 weeks for it to do so. So I could not and cannot open a new account for 2 weeks. This is 2 weeks that criminals have access to my current account. How is this security? How is this a bank?!

That is not even all of it. If you need more information and you can help I can type out the whole story here.

I would like to take them to court for the $150 in rent late fees that are 100% their fault. I have requested this multiple times and they called me this morning to blame me and to inform me they will not pay the late fees.
This caused so much financial stress, and emotional distress. I am usually a very calm person, but I lost my cool over this many times swearing, screaming and yelling. That was the only way I got any type of help too, sadly. You have yell, scream, and curse to get a sliver of help.

LdiJ

I am in California.
I bank with a certain terrible big bank.
I had a serious account take over and this bank did not act to stop anything from happening. I ended up incurring $150 late fees for my rent and my landlord threatened to evict over this. I did not have money available in my bank after the take over to pay rent, and had absolutely NO access to my account while criminals did. This bank was well aware of this, and never helped me freeze my account, lock my account, or change my account number to protect me. Matter a fact, after 7 calls and 3 managers I got a tiny bit of help. Basically, his help was giving me an incorrect balance. After that, he told me that they are just protecting me, I guess by NOT giving me access to my account, not letting me speak with anyone, not closing/freezing/locking/changing my account. Somehow at this bank, protecting you means the complete opposite of that.

So that is the gist of the issue. They may be in violation of Regulation E, which another bank told me this.

They also told me that I MUST change my account number, and that they cannot. So, I have 0 access to my account or money, and no one would help me, yet I am supposed to change my account number by opening a new account. Ok, that is 100% ridiculous, but what's worse? Once I finally got access to my account, I attempted to create a new account so I could transfer everything over before I direct deposit to another bank. Well, they put all their eggs into one basket (a pin from my mobile app which I never had from day one) so we had to change or add this pin to my account. Well, I can't open a new account until this magical pin refreshes. Well, it takes 2 weeks for it to do so. So I could not and cannot open a new account for 2 weeks. This is 2 weeks that criminals have access to my current account. How is this security? How is this a bank?!

That is not even all of it. If you need more information and you can help I can type out the whole story here.

I would like to take them to court for the $150 in rent late fees that are 100% their fault. I have requested this multiple times and they called me this morning to blame me and to inform me they will not pay the late fees.
This caused so much financial stress, and emotional distress. I am usually a very calm person, but I lost my cool over this many times swearing, screaming and yelling. That was the only way I got any type of help too, sadly. You have yell, scream, and curse to get a sliver of help.
Why were you attempting to do this over the phone rather than going in person to the bank to resolve the problem?

strife26

It is an Online bank for me. The nearest branch is 180 miles away. I have since opened 2 new accounts in town.

Chyvan

I would like to take them to court for the $150 in rent late fees that are 100% their fault.
I'd start at a lower level. Find the bank's regulator. Most likely the Office of the Controller of the Currency or you might get lucky and be able to use the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Complaints filed this way get handled by special people at the bank rather than by regular customer service. The results can be surprisingly pleasant.

Also, have you tried begging your landlord to cut you some slack? Could be that with a letter from the bank to back up your story unlike so many other hard luck stories that they hear, they just might do you a favor because there's some paperwork from an unrelated third-party.

Your story is also a perfect example of why everyone should have no less than two banks. When something goes wrong with one, it's such a relief to know that you have a back up until the mess gets sorted out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">