• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i wrote a bad eCheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maisteas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

A week or so ago I made a $2000 deposit into paypal from my bank account even though i did not have the money available. It went through and I had the money in my account so I ordered a computer online.

I dont know what I was thinking. I though it would just put my bank in the negatives and then go to collections and I'd have to make payments to them. After doing research I am worried. I didnt know how serious this was and I highly regret doing it.

Should I get a lawyer? I haven't spoken with my bank or paypal since then.

Can (and do you think) my bank will pursue criminal charges? Or will they just send it to collections?

I'm not even sure who I owe now. I have been too afraid to log into paypal and in my bank account. Since the deposit went through and was available on paypal Im assuming my bank is now negative $2000 and that I owe them.

I don't know what to say when I call. "Hey...I needed a computer and decided to see if writing a bad eCheck would work - and it did. I'm sorry I hope we can work this out"

I'm such an idiot. I don't have any priors (other than gettign arrested for underage drinking at 18...is that considered one?)

What should I do?

In all honesty I had this problem once before with gambling a few years ago. Same thing.

I want to get my life together. Ive made a bunch of stupid choices.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

A week or so ago I made a $2000 deposit into paypal from my bank account even though i did not have the money available. It went through and I had the money in my account so I ordered a computer online.

I dont know what I was thinking. I though it would just put my bank in the negatives and then go to collections and I'd have to make payments to them. After doing research I am worried. I didnt know how serious this was and I highly regret doing it.

Should I get a lawyer? I haven't spoken with my bank or paypal since then.

Can (and do you think) my bank will pursue criminal charges? Or will they just send it to collections?

I'm not even sure who I owe now. I have been too afraid to log into paypal and in my bank account. Since the deposit went through and was available on paypal Im assuming my bank is now negative $2000 and that I owe them.

I don't know what to say when I call. "Hey...I needed a computer and decided to see if writing a bad eCheck would work - and it did. I'm sorry I hope we can work this out"

I'm such an idiot. I don't have any priors (other than gettign arrested for underage drinking at 18...is that considered one?)

What should I do?

In all honesty I had this problem once before with gambling a few years ago. Same thing.

I want to get my life together. Ive made a bunch of stupid choices.

This post sounds vaguely :confused: familiar.

You know you didn't NEED the computer - you wanted it. It's people like you who deserve everything that comes their way. Too bad the bank probably won't file criminal charges against you - they should.

Call your bank, talk to them. Call Paypal talk to them

Take your licks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">